Qobuz Better Than Tidal Now (for me)

+1 …and to my surprise when I moved my Spotify playlists to Quboz I had more coverage/matches that when I did the same for Tidal…and also realised there’s so much more Hirez music available, it’s a different world… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does anyone know when Qobuz will reach to Israel?

I suspect they’re waiting till y’all are fully vaccinated, so maybe next week :man_shrugging: :wink:.

+1
Qobuz available in Norway now also.
I started the free trial the day it arrived.
I’ll be cancelling Tidal this month.
Shame really as I’ve been a Tidal user since it was in its Wimp version Pre Tidal. When it was Wimp it came free as part of the cable TV subs here. Now its 200 NOK per month for pushing of music that I have zero interest in and a file format that is questionable on many levels.

3 Likes

I have had problems with both services when streaming hi-res content via Roon. I have the core running on a Wyred4Sound MS-1 music server with a wired ethernet connection. The output of the MS-1 is connected directly to a DAC with full MQA decode capabilities. MQA tracks play for a bit and then start skipping. With Qobuz they simply stop and hang up Roon. There are no network bandwidth issues (600 - 700Mbs download available). The only WiFi involved is between the Roon control app running on an iPad the the router. If I plug a MacBook Pro into the same ethernet drop that the MS-1 is connected to and USB port on the DAC I can stream content directly via both apps without issue. I’m also streaming hi-res video content without issue via this same network switch. So the problem seems to be isolated to the Roon Core running on the MS-1 (running an Intel i3 chip). Anyone else out there having similar issues with a similarly configured MS-1? Just wondering if this comes down to a horsepower issue with the MS-1.
I was hoping to take advantage of the wider catalog of hi-rez FLAC content on Qobuz and break the dependency on the smaller set of MQA offerings that Tidal imposes.

1 Like

I switched to Qobuz from Tidal mostly because the comparable tier is $5 cheaper per month. I’ve rarely noticed anything missing. I like not worrying about MQA. I prefer Qobuz’s mobile app and the new music/releases they emphasize. Overall… happy I switched.

4 Likes

I listen 98% to classical and I don’t find much missing from Qobuz. I subscribe to the UK magazine Gramophone, which has monthly reviews of new classical releases. I’m generally able to find all the reviewed material at Qobuz. I tend to listen to more recent recordings (1980s on) so I’m not sure if the really old recordings of classical are available on Qobuz. I know Qobuz has a section called “Still Trending” that highlights old recordings.

I’m very happy with the combo of Roon 1.8 and Qobuz.

8 Likes

Good to know. I am hoping to expand the Classical section of my library and I was a bit concerned that moving exclusively to Qobuz might reduce the number of selections available to me. Of course, availability is high in all of these services and one’s individual experience with availability depends quite a lot on one’s individual taste and preference. But, your experience is reassuring. Thanks.

2 Likes

How easy is it to transfer TIDAL albums to Q?

I’m in Australia & my initial impressions is that SQ in Q slightly better & whilst I have been bitten by the MQA bug, I’m starting to question this, especially as I can now compare with true lossless high res files.

Is it an relatively auto process or quite time consuming?

Cheers
Matt

Pretty close to automatic: https://soundiiz.com

3 Likes

Take a monthly subscription to Soundizz and then choose the platform-to-platform option. At the end of this process you will get an overview of successful and unsuccessful transfers. It makes sense to check the failures manually. If there is only one character different in the title, the transfer of that album will not work…

Day after I signed upto Qobuz they sent me a link to soundiiz

Transfered my tidal library, artists and playlists over last night. Process took about 10 minutes.

1 for 1 match on albums was around 95%.

But I’ve already found stuff on Qobuz that was never on Tidal.

Plus I have waved goodbye to MQA.

Happy days.

5 Likes

I made the decision to have Qobuz in addition to Tidal. Not entirely logical in terms of personal finance :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But now I do have the best of both worlds. The (much) bigger library of Tidal and the better sound quality of Qobuz.
I used the platform-to-platform option in Soundlizz
The only manual job was to swap my MQA albums for Qobuz versions.

It is not clear to me which versions Roon Radio prefers. Anyone?

Thanks Everyone, I’ll look into Soundizz

Doubt it. I thinking without doing the math, 24/192 uses well under 1mbps, probably closer to 0.4 or 0.3mbps.

It’s definitely less demanding than a hd Netflix movie.

Qobuz recommend a connection speed higher than 10 Mbps for Hi-res…

And I’m seeing 5 Mbps for streaming 88.2 kHz 24 bit files to my endpoints…

Are the Ethernet connections for the dac and the tv you’re streaming hd video to in the same room?

Have you tried swapping the cables. Put the tv in the dac and the dac in the tv.

May show possibility of a bad cable…

Hi Guys, if I just want to import as many TIDAL albums into Qobuz as available, do I use transfer or Platform to Platform?

I think it’s platform to platform but I’m not 100% sure?

Cheers
Matt

Yep, that’s it.

I doubt if it works with a free account …