Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

I just tried it and it’s gapless if I don’t jump too close to the end (to the last 10 seconds or less). I guess that the system needs to buffer the coming data to make it gapless.

I tried also with this album.

And every time I jump inside the last 10 seconds, it’s not gapless, but otherwise, it’s working. This is not a scientific result, but I tried a dozen of times and I think the theory is working.

Anyone else having the same behaviour as I see?

My system is running in a QNAP TVS-472XT with 32GB of RAM

Streaming to a RPi4 (Ropieee) USB to Benchmark DAC3

So for me, this is not a bug if you let the system do its buffer. But if this happens all the time, that’s a bug :slight_smile:

Crossfade still does not work with Qobuz.

I am sure, that as long crossfade doesn’t work, gapless wont work either. There seems to be a problem with preloading tracks in Roon.

For me it’s totally inconsistent.
Scrubbing will break gapless, as you say, although it never used to.
What I’m describing below occurs when playing albums from the beginning:
Some gapless albums play gapless. Some don’t.
There are albums that will play gapless sometimes but not others.
And even some albums where certain tracks are gapless and others aren’t, but which track gaps varies during different plays.

I have several (gapless) endpoints and it occurs with all of them.
But only with Roon in the last 2 months or so. Before then it was fine.
DLNA and the native Qobuz and Tidal apps are gapless.
Local files with Roon are still gapless.
It’s a bigger issue with Qobuz but Tidal sometimes gaps too but with just a barely perceptible gap.

2 Likes

How can it be gapless when you skip to the next track before the end of the track? “Gapless” means that when one track ends there is no gap before the new track starts. So gapless only comes into play when tracks end and then start without user “help”.

Hi @musicjunkie917,

@Piatnik is not saying that, he is jumping within the current track to a point in time that is less than 10 seconds before the end of that track. Then allowing that track to play to completion … and transitioning to the next track.

2 Likes

Ugh. Just started getting this today. Nothing that I’m ripping my hair out over yet, but Abraxas by Santana has a half-second between songs for the first time in a year +. Happened on a couple RoPieee endpoints.

Thank you!

Working again!

Mostly playing opera , Qobuz hires, and gaps happen for more than 50 % of the albums, making Roon useless (playing those thru the Qobuz app now). I had great trust that this would be fixed quickly, but there seem to be other priorities. I will wait for the next patch. If not solved then I am not spending more money for a useless experience.

@Robert_Willem_van_Ho
I totally aggree with what you said. I was trying to listen to Abbey Road yesterday, the gapless problem totally ruin the experience. It is absolutely incredible that roon delivered a software with such a bug.
The developer do not listen to music, nor their bosses. They are focus on how to play the music on a android watch…
That’s how the word is now… the basic functionalities are no longer a priority.
Best regards
Claude

1 Like

I understand the frustration here, I’ve been having the problem since early December 2022. But I am still hoping for a fix.

The frustration is indeed huge as this is a major error on the basic foundation of any player, that is, play music as it is intended. I hope for a fix as well, otherwise it will be another front-end (or even none) for me. And indeed Claude, the urge to play over car speakers in a noicy background thru a (dangerous for driving) car screen thru Carplay seems to be more important than actually playing music as it should.

2 Likes

Yes, I see it like this: for me, the most important thing is that the basic functionalities of Roon work as they did during my trial phase in autumn 2020. New features are good and the users also need fresh fodder, but these basic functionalities - and I count “problem-free gapless” as well as “no insanely long pauses between songs of mixed playlists” - must never lose quality.

Yeah, no. As mentioned several times above, the issue simply doesn’t manifest for everyone and hence is not so easy to track down. I never experienced it and still don’t

Yes I understand it is not always easy to find a bug… but before December 22nd it was working for everyone, after it was not. Maybe there is only few people with the problem.
Roon has a lot of logs locally and on servers, and they must know what was changed in the communication with Qobuz. It could be a change from the Qobuz size, and now Roon has to adapt it’s code. I can understand that perfectly, but why is it so long to patch the code, just for this problem.
That’s why I was not happy, they seem to be more interested by the new functionalities.
Best regards
Claude

That may well be but “The developer do not listen to music, nor their bosses” just doesn’t follow

3 Likes

Just to give an update from my side. Now it works here. I have nothing changed. :thinking:

As already mentioned, crossover had the same problem like gapless, but much easier to recognize. Playing last hours using crossover without a problem, trying a gapless album did work perfect too.

I never realized how much I relied on gapless playback until it wasn’t there anymore.

Still keeping my :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

It has proven to be so inconsistent for me, using a few different machines / platforms as cores and mixing up different DACs, that I’ve mostly been able to give up being frustrated with it. Please note: That is a DEscriptive, not PREscriptive statement.

It’s annoying when it happens but it’s infrequent. It truly seems random.

The only place I have never experienced it is with local ripped music.

I can confirm that. For about 7 weeks now I play primarily music from my hard drive. Streaming is limited to 16/44 through Qobuz or Tidal, and even then there’s no guarantee the music will play uninterrupted or at all. I had to turn Roon Radio off. Hope this get fixed soon, this has been going on too long already.

2 Likes