Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

@NipperDog yes, that also is a symptom. Still waiting for a fix…

1 Like

The phenomenon is now also occurring more frequently with local content. A reboot of the core brings (brief) relief. I have checked ISP, network and hardware, everything is OK and as it should be.

My core (Nucleus) now has 16 GB RAM, which should be easily sufficient. However, it was no worse with 4 GB RAM.

A few minutes ago I updated my Core and Remote to the new build 1193. This of course also means a restart of the Roon server software on my Ubuntu 22.04 Core. Right now I am playing back an album from Qobuz and notice that the problem with gaps between tracks has not improved.

I previously thought that Roon would start downloading and caching the next track, before the currently playing track ends. This doesn’t seem to work anymore. The track ends, and Roon needs about 2-3 seconds to start playing the next track. I can remember times when this has been working faultlessly.

Please note that these are not tracks from a playlist, these are tracks from the same album being streamed from Qobuz at 96/24.

Edit: Monitoring Roon’s server log file in real-time, I see that the buffer of the file being currently reproduced runs down to 1% (or that at least is the last log entry; in fact it runs empty), before the preloading of the next track starts… This doesn’t seem right.

Edit 2: Now suddenly it works well… one track ends, the other starts immediately… the problem is intermittent, at some times more noticeable than at others… annoying.

1 Like

Same here I’m afraid. Downloaded the update. Rebooted core (M1 Mac Mini) and went to my standard test live album (96/24 Qobuz). First track transition fine, second and third had gaps, fourth fine. Would appear the issue remains intermittent.

Never had a problem before 2.0. Core is hardwired to router with Ls50w 2 endpoint over Wi-Fi.

After the first four or five tracks with gaps, it suddenly began to work as it should… while playing back one track, the next one is being completely downloaded and cached… so at the end of the playing track the transition is immediate… We will see how it goes with other albums during the next hours and days…

Hey Everyone,

With the new Roon release, I wanted to make sure there is clarity around this Qobuz gapless playback issue.

In short, we’ve released a fix for gapless playback for Chromecast devices only. In regards to the broader issue with Qobuz, we are still working on a fix. Progress is steady, and a fix will be coming down the pipeline soon :+1:

Thank you for your continued patience on this, we realize how interruptions such as this can really hurt the overall listening experience. I will of course share any updates as they come!

16 Likes

I updated to 1193 this am and gapless has disappeared. Nothing like listening to a favorite live album with 2 second gaps.

Is this with local files, Qobuz or Tidal?

This is Qobuz. :grinning:

1193 here and Tom Petty live from Qobuz NO Gaps here
And i’m still here i Finland near Russian border

Rock >> Ropiee >> Burson Audio Playmate 2 >> Meze Audio 109Pro
Hope You solve the problem !

Known issue, Roon are working it (I’ve merged into the #support topic so Roon’s team see your comments).

I just tried it and it’s gapless if I don’t jump too close to the end (to the last 10 seconds or less). I guess that the system needs to buffer the coming data to make it gapless.

I tried also with this album.

And every time I jump inside the last 10 seconds, it’s not gapless, but otherwise, it’s working. This is not a scientific result, but I tried a dozen of times and I think the theory is working.

Anyone else having the same behaviour as I see?

My system is running in a QNAP TVS-472XT with 32GB of RAM

Streaming to a RPi4 (Ropieee) USB to Benchmark DAC3

So for me, this is not a bug if you let the system do its buffer. But if this happens all the time, that’s a bug :slight_smile:

Crossfade still does not work with Qobuz.

I am sure, that as long crossfade doesn’t work, gapless wont work either. There seems to be a problem with preloading tracks in Roon.

For me it’s totally inconsistent.
Scrubbing will break gapless, as you say, although it never used to.
What I’m describing below occurs when playing albums from the beginning:
Some gapless albums play gapless. Some don’t.
There are albums that will play gapless sometimes but not others.
And even some albums where certain tracks are gapless and others aren’t, but which track gaps varies during different plays.

I have several (gapless) endpoints and it occurs with all of them.
But only with Roon in the last 2 months or so. Before then it was fine.
DLNA and the native Qobuz and Tidal apps are gapless.
Local files with Roon are still gapless.
It’s a bigger issue with Qobuz but Tidal sometimes gaps too but with just a barely perceptible gap.

2 Likes

How can it be gapless when you skip to the next track before the end of the track? “Gapless” means that when one track ends there is no gap before the new track starts. So gapless only comes into play when tracks end and then start without user “help”.

Hi @musicjunkie917,

@Piatnik is not saying that, he is jumping within the current track to a point in time that is less than 10 seconds before the end of that track. Then allowing that track to play to completion … and transitioning to the next track.

2 Likes

Ugh. Just started getting this today. Nothing that I’m ripping my hair out over yet, but Abraxas by Santana has a half-second between songs for the first time in a year +. Happened on a couple RoPieee endpoints.

Thank you!

Working again!

Mostly playing opera , Qobuz hires, and gaps happen for more than 50 % of the albums, making Roon useless (playing those thru the Qobuz app now). I had great trust that this would be fixed quickly, but there seem to be other priorities. I will wait for the next patch. If not solved then I am not spending more money for a useless experience.