Qobuz HiRes not working

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK on NUC8i5BEH, 8GB RAM, Roon Version 1.7 (build 710) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Telekom Speedport Smart 3, Telekom SpeedHome WiFi Mesh
ROCK is connected via a simple LAN switch directly to main router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Chord Mojo + Poly
also just iPad
problem occurs independent of playback device

Description Of Issue
Playing local files of all samplerates works fine. The ROCK is my new core since three days. On day one, the issue did not occur. But now, Qobuz only works in CD quality. If I try to stream anything higher, it may or may not work (24/48) or reliably not work (24/88.2 or higher). I am subscribed to Qobuz’ highest tier, so I’d really like to listen to all that HiRes music.
Qobuz works just fine using any resolution on the Qobuz App.

What actually happens:
I try to play a track of say 24/96. The first ~5 sec play, then everything just stops, the track is also removed from the queue.
Sometimes the track vanishes from the queue first, then I may get an error message, afterwards the first ~5 sec play.
Sometimes there is no error message. Sometimes it says this track is not available from Qobuz right now. Sometimes it says Qobuz media is loading slowly. Sometimes it says there was an error during playback. (You don’t say…)
Sometimes no error message at all.

Although this will not help solving the problem:
I am getting frustrated. First, Roon runs on my Windows PC (connected to the exact same LAN switch). I get an M1 MacBook and migrate Roon, mostly in order to save power. A desktop PC is still an idle space heater. That did not go that well, see here:

Now I go out and make the move to ROCK on an officialy supported NUC device, and I still cannot listen to music. I have not really listened to a nice HiRes album for two days in a row during the last month, so please help fix this quickly.

Sorry, I forgot.
Logging in and out of Qobuz does not help, neither does restarting every network device in my house nor rebooting the entire ROCK or just restarting Roon.

Hi @Leon_Reich, I’m not Roon support but have had similar problems and seen some reported on here. It’s usually a network transmission issue. If you want to test it try playing from the core device (USB the Mojo to it) and see if the problem goes away. Roon/RAAT is pretty militant about network reliability, it hates my HomePlug network. Seeing the native Qobuz app work where Roon fails to isn’t unheard of.

Something to test while you wait.

Hi @killdozer,
thank you for your suggestion. My Windows PC working flawlessly before with the exact same network correction made me doubt that this is a network issue. I tried connecting the Mojo directly to the NUC/ROCK, and the issue persists unchanged.

I found out another interesting bit. This does not work reliably, but if I manage to pause the track before Roon thinks that there’s an error with Qobuz (which is not easy, as somehow the pause button takes its time to to anything, about 1 or 2 secs) and then wait a little while and then play again, the track plays just fine. Could it be, that Roon just does not buffer enough of the track, then plays until the buffer is empty and thinks there is a network problem?

So something upstream of the core then? The pausing/buffering behaviour still suggests network, it’s not just the core message, simply why else would the buffer be empty? I’d check the LAN cables are fine from the core to switch and the switch to router. I’d still continue to test with the MoJo attached to the core, the poly/wifi isn’t as reliable and is an unnecessary link in the test chain. You could even network the core direct to the router and cut out the switch/test individual cables.

Good luck

Hello @Leon_Reich, do you see better results if you lower the streaming quality under settings>services>Qobuz?

Hi @nuwriy, yes, lowering the Qobuz quality setting down to CD quality makes everything work fine. Any tips on how to get 24/192 working again?

Since I have noticed that support likes to chime in from time to time and then say nothing for a few days: I would like to resolve the issue this week and maybe some info on whether something is actually happening. I invested no small amount of money into a NUC in hopes of finally being able to just listen to Hi-Res music without anything substantial not working.

The major thing here is: If you could at least tell me that you do not even know if or when this is going to be resolved, I could at least try to get my money back on the NUC. Or if you think this is an issue which is going to be fixed in 1.8 and this is the reason you are stalling, a timeline on the release would be great.

Really anything. Just some amount of communication which makes me able to understand what’s going on.

Hello @Leon_Reich,
sorry for your troubles here, I am just another user, trying to help.
I guess you have already tried rebooting everything one after another, the router first?

If so, this seems to be a wifi, network related issue.
I also had all kinds of error messages … Qobuz is loading slowly etc. etc. etc. …
After having wired all endpoints with ethernet, it finally works and I am able listen to my music in peace and without constant anger. I also have a NUC 8i7.
Because of the Telekom router and the SpeedHomes, I suspect that you speak German?
Then the following from Tekekomhilft (I am also a customer there) might be of interest to you:
https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Fernsehen/Netzwerkprobleme-Magenta-TV-Speedport-Home-Wifi-Standbilder-nach/td-p/3738193

All the best!

You will not believe it, but a simple Gigabit LAN Switch was the issue. The core is now attached directly to the router, and everything I have tried seems to work fine. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It still boggles my mind, as streaming to devices connected to the switch works just fine. I do not know why the placement of the core would make any difference.

@nuwriy
I would still like to continue the conversation. Support has not helped me here at all, but I would like to find the issue. If it is something with Roon itself that is at fault here (and as everything else in my house does not seem to mind simple LAN switches, that seems to be the case), maybe I can assist in pinpointing the problem, so Roon works better with all kinds of networks in the future. Please let me know if there is something I can do.

Best regards!

1 Like

Glad to hear you got there in the end. Testing methodically is the only way with issues like that. I’ll believe anything might be faulty unless proved otherwise.

Now you can enjoy a long test session or two. The MoJo has a lovely sound…

Edit: what’s the make of switch BTW, not sure I saw it?

Thanks for the update, @Leon_Reich! It is good to hear that a direct connection to your router helps. It’s hard to say for sure just yet why the switch was causing the problem — It’s possible there was limited bandwidth available through the switch so higher-res content wasn’t available. It is also possible that the switch has some “managed” functionality that affected the communication for playback. Can you confirm the specific switch in use?

It’s a Netgear GS605. It could not be a bandwidth issue, as local Hi-Res files played just fine, and downloads from other PCs using the switch are running with no speed problems at all. Sorry I forgot to mention it in the first place…

Hi @Leon_Reich,

Streaming HiRes content from Qobuz tends to be pretty demanding on the network, and even more so through Roon. We know that Roon is working okay when it is connected to the router directly, so something about the switch is causing an issue here. It is hard to say for sure exactly what that is without testing with the switch, but Roon shouldn’t interact with a switch any differently than it would the router. If the switch isn’t performing as quickly as the direct router connection it definitely could result in the behavior you’ve been experiencing so far.

I’m glad you were able to get to the bottom of this, Leon! If you have any questions please let us know.

Last night the Core had yet another hiccup, nothing to with network. Qobuz did not want to play, logging in and out of Qobuz did the trick. This seems to be an issue with Roon itself, maybe my problem from when I was using the switch was actually two problems with the same symptoms.

I guess this will necessitate some very extensive equipment testing aka music listening. :wink:
Have a nice day you all!

Hi @dylan,

if this demands a new thread, please tell me. The last days I could stream from Qobuz no problem, although sometimes it would give me the “Qobuz media is loading slowly” error and skip a few tracks, if not the whole queue. What helped was signing out of Qobuz and then in again. I had this problem on my MacBook also (but not on my Windows PC). But it has gotten worse now.

I am experiencing the issue with CD quality content also, and it can absolutely not be a network speed issue, as I am getting consistently above 80 Mbit/s in download speeds.

The next time you see this, @Leon_Reich, can you make a note of the time it occurs and the track it happens for? We’ll enable diagnostics and take a look. Thanks!

I will certainly do so. Last evening it worked fine again. Seems to be a sporadic issue.

Yet another curious thing: I did not get any Artwork loaded from Qobuz on my iOS Roon Remotes (iPad and iPhone). Reinstalling the app did nothing. Deleting the app, completely rebooting the iOS device and then installing Roon Remote again did the trick. I don’t know why, and I don’t know whether this could also have affected playback. Maybe you can get more out of this info.

Hi @dylan,

listening to Frank Ocean’s ‘Blond’, halfway through the first track ‘Nikes’. Today, Sun 17 at 12:18 AM. Happened again. Qobuz Media is loading slowly, skipping tracks.

On another note: I have to restart my iPad about once a day to show cover art from Qobuz in the Roon Remote app.