Qobuz integration in Roon?

Here’s a news article from yesterday about this

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-gets-ready-its-close

3 Likes

soooo true :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the integration.

1 Like

I’m psyched about this. If the Roon integration functions as well as the Tidal integration I will drop Tidal in a heartbeat. They don’t seem to have any interest at all in my demographic (cranky old shake fist at cloud guy) and I would love to have a service that recommends releases I might actually listen to. I mean they know what I do listen to… WTH?

Old here too…but I have discovered more music via Tidal in the past year than I have on my own in the past five years. All the new music is there…and most of the old…regardless of “demographic”. Between the vast Tidal catalog, Roon, and online forums like this I have more recommendations than I have time to listen to. I will try Qobuz when it is available and make some comparisons before I decide which I prefer. I’ve heard from users who have used both that Tidal may actually have more albums in their database. I like having the choices…Not drawing a line in the sand here…oh yeah and still wearing Nike.

3 Likes

I’ve downloaded their app and it lets you browse their catalog even though can’t sign up. However I don’t think it’s regionally setup for the US yet. Some text is still in French and think catalog is not the same as what will be there when it launches.

Just some quick searches shows that most of the Tidal MQA albums are available in true hi-res format. The app even say it lets you output on iPhone with camera adapter and dac in hi-res.

Not 100% sure I’ll switch. Depends on actual US catalog. Do like idea of paying for service that caters audiophiles and has real hi-res files vs MQA. Think Tidal was heading in that direction but now it feels like more of an after thought.

2 Likes

None of these genres interest you in Tidal? Not even one !? :grin:

Too much Kanye and Jay-Z here, it’s unbearable :grin:

4 Likes

Not the message I get when I log into Tidal directly. Of course you already know that. I look forward to Tidal either re-assessing their marketing direction to be more inclusive, or being acquired by a company more interested in serving a wider demographic.

Or going out of business and becoming a footnote in history.

I’m good whatever way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh, so your main issue is when using Tidal outside of Roon?

All of those genres are still there when you access Tidal’s own apps too… so it’s mainly the ‘front page’ that bothers you?

I think I’ve been clear that my preference would be a more inclusive experience. As a consumer, when I have an option, I will spend my money to be included.

I think everyone has a right to their own preferences. Many will prefer the current Tidal experience.

Some will not.

Not a problem, I always respect old guys shaking their fists at the cloud. I’m just generally interested in understanding what exactly they’re shaking their fists at…

I’m still a bit unclear to be honest but happy to drop it. These are first world problems in the big scheme of life :grin:

4 Likes

I agree with that.

1 Like

Marketing? Only sheep are obsessed with marketing. I don’t need anyone to tell me what to listen to. I click right past the hip hop albums to the good stuff. Tidal is fantastic. I hope they stick around for a long time. To do that they better market to 15 year old “sheep”. There are finite numbers of us old audiophiles and our numbers are not growing.

5 Likes

I care not what Tidal has on its front page - what I do care is that they don’t carry more than 25% of the classical content Qobuz does.

FWIW, I’ll probably maintain my subscription to both services - but Qobuz would be my choice if I had to choose one or the other.

4 Likes

Qobuz is way limited on any alternative / Indipendent music… be it punk, grunge, metal or even alternative singer/songwriter or alt country… even rock/pop tidal still has bigger selection…

Qobuz may be interesting if you are a limited classic/jazz listener… on all other fronts they seriously need to upgrade their library to be an alternative.

I see no reason at all to change subscription…

Qobuz is more expensive 4 less quality (full high res requires the year subscription) and way restricted catalogue…

4 Likes

It’s a great time to be alive with multiple streaming options in general (even beyond Roon).

We should want Tidal to grow and we should want Qobuz to grow.

We shouldn’t want to be left with just 4 (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Google) in the end - or even less…

8 Likes

We don’t but logic dictates perhaps three will be left. Spotify and a couple of the closed ecosystems who’s wealth will keep them going. Eventually they will buy up the other players because that is what they do. The hope is they keep the good bits and incorporate them, and of course allow the likes of Roon to do what they do best if Roon can avoid being acquired.

That’s what I’m hinting with “We shouldn’t want to be left with just 4 (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Google) in the end - or even less…

I’m fairly positive that we will continue to have a diversity in services to choose from globally. Problem is that these services have a hard time providing their catalogue to all regions, due to contract issues. But as content owner are getting less restrictive and conservative I think this will open up more and more.

With services like Roon, working as a place to merge these subscriptions into one experience, there isn’t even a problem with experiencing the music. I see Roon as a potential version of what Apple does with their “tv” app where you can use several streaming services in one place. Sure some companies will always try to stand on their own – like Netflix choosing not to be in the “tv” app – but the smaller ones will probably be more open.

If we start viewing the streaming services with an analogy of a record store, I think the market will realize that we have room for quite a lot of different services with different kind of content and users.

2 Likes

In my industry, a dozen or so separate entities became one then came together with their consolidated counterpart in Europe. The rights arrangements are local as is some branding but there is only one legal entity in charge. Ultimately economy of scale becomes paramount. If you need ten million customers to make a profit, then once new subscribers stop coming in, growth is through combining forces. It doesn’t matter about brand or language or rights. That is the small detail. What matters is those big numbers.