Qobuz integration in Roon?

I think that has been the truth at least in the tech industry where I work. But I see signs of this changeing. The idea of scale as the number one factor of Success is starting to face serious resistance. So will the idea that scale is the way to make profit. Just because Spotify thinks that 10 000 employers is a sign of success and necessity doesn’t mean you can not build a competitive product for a small part of Spotify’s target group on a much smaller scale.

If all of this with big numbers and economy of scale was true then Roon would not excist. It’s a niche product but it has prevailed.

So I will gladly try Qobuz when they launch here. And even happier so if they have the Roon integration in place. :+1:t3:

It’ll be interesting to see if you are right. I suspect that if you are it will only be by raising ten million people’s worth of revenue. An expensive ‘premium’ product.

I switched from Tidal to Qobuz last month. Not because I dislike Tidal (I don’t) but I noticed that I am very stupid or oldfashioned, because I tend to buy the music I really like and I have saved/will save quite a bit of money by signing up for Qobuz Sublime. Qobuz Sublime has the advantage of discounted hi-res downloads.

As a side effect I also noticed how important a Roon integrated streaming-service is, I really miss that (for now!)

5 Likes

The amount of discount just shows how over priced they are to begin with. I find this a bit insulting.

The extra you pay over and above a similar (not equivalent) Tidal subscription is used to subsidize the price of the downloads - assumption being you won’t buy enough downloads during the year to consume the subsidy.

Joke’s on them . . . :wink:

PS - I agree the cost of downloads is stupid - even AAC / MP3. Same for new eBooks (or example, on Amazon Kindle) - $14.99 for a FREAKIN’ DOWNLOAD? Uh, no. I absolutely refuse to pay MORE for a download than I would for the equivalent paperback (would argue it SHOULD be even less).

1 Like

Nothing stupid to buy Hires from Qobuz with a sublime subscription. This is additional income for the industry from guys like you and me that like to own and stream at the same time. This for me this is the main difference between a Tidal and a Qobuz subscription, at least when you go the sublime path. Looking forward to drop the Tidal subscription that eats another 20 Euros per month as long as Qobuz is not streamable through Roon.

2 Likes

Personally, I’ll be subscribing to both Tidal and Qobuz when it becomes availble.

3 Likes

I’d subscribe to Qobuz over Tidal, as I value actually owning the music (work requires me to be away from the ability to stream regularly) and the discount on downloading high res albums would help offset what is already a cheaper service (Sublime vs Tidal premium).

1 Like

I plan to do the same. Both catalogs are lacking in certain areas.

What I would be interested in is how Tidal and Qobuz will be handled in roon in case you subscribe to both. So will there basically be a one streaming pool? Searching for a title will yield 3 results, own library, Tidal and Qobuz?

1 Like

I would assume. With the best version being made primary and all the others available under Versions.

2 Likes

As a French user, I have both.
My teenage girls prefer Tidal
My fifties years prefer Qobuz, my musical tastes are varied.
Both find their audience.
I sometimes compare the offer on classic albums or Jazz, Qobuz is better than Tidal, on indie tracks or Rap … Tidal is better.
playlists are more numerous and varied on Tidal.
But for an audiophile listening with Roon - HQPlayer and my HIFI system, I prefer to have Qobuz integrated.
regards

6 Likes

I agree with Lionel. . .my teenage kids find Tidal is what they want, like, and use. For me (jazz and classical) I find qobuz selection to my tastes as well as the ability easily find new music. Additionally, for me, I prefer the sound of qobuz to tidal over a long listening session. Not sure why, but after a few hours tidal, in general, sounds less appealing to me than qobuz for same music. Not saying one is better, just what I prefer.

1 Like

For the US market they are showing it will be $25 a month for hi-res streaming. $20 for CD quality. Think only need to do anual if want hi-res download discount. Not sure if they plan to change structure for existing markets.

Also would think the libraries are region specific. Hoping it will be close to Tidal’s. I listen to mostly alternative and indie so I may be sticking with Tidal in the end.

For 20$ you have Tidal inc. MQA and a by far larger music collection for indie/alternative music… I missed about 25% of my tidal selection with Qobuz… I think it aims at a strongly Jazz/Classic orientated clientel… unless they upgrade their library and reduce their price at the same time I see no benefit at all in Qobuz (as said, unless you are mainly interested in Jazz/Classic).

3 Likes

While I typically prefer the sound of fully rendered MQA albums, there are far more hi-res offerings that are not MQA, so having both Tidal and Qobuz should allow me to enjoy more hires selection for streaming, as opposed to MQA or cd quality as it stands now with Tidal only.

For me, Tidal has big holes in the music much of the music I’m interested. I don’t expect Quboz to be much better actually. Everyone should compare the two products based on their musical tastes and come to their own decision. However, until we actually see what Quboz has licensed for stream/sale in America, that is a moot point.

As for price, the final pricing structure is not set yet. But assuming that, the highest tier of Quboz is 30/month with the purchase discount like it is in Europe, then, the streaming cost will essentially be free and I will be saving money.

For me the big plus is the Qobuz sublime offer (CD quality streaming and hires purchasing at mp3 prices, incl. hires streaming of purchased albums). Having Qobuz integreated in Roon would safe me 20€ per month for being able to listen to streams over Roon with DSP using my HAF filters. For now I have to subscribe to Tidal to be able to stream CD quality with Roon, i.e. pay for 90% of the streaming offer double.

2 Likes

I think Tidal may have more newer jazz artists as well based on my Soundiz transfer.

They are not all at MP3 prices at all. That’s just marketing BS.