Qobuz integration in Roon?

As any translator can say; Qobuz integration is imminent. :wink:

1 Like

When a new version is available Roon will prompt you to update, so you won’t miss a new version.

Major updates usually have a banner in the Forum announcing their arrival. There is usually a good deal of chatter about the update also.

Details of all updates are noted in the Software Release Notes section of the Forum. You can Watch that category and will then get notification of new threads.

1 Like

Thanks Andy, that’s very helpful.

Why not keep Tidal & Qobuz? Anybody willing to pay for 1k headphone and 3k dacs should be able to afford both without a problem. I plan on telling my wife to just give me a Qobuz Sublime sub every year. Im ok with that.

2 Likes

You must have me confused with someone else. I’ve never paid 1K for a pair of headphones or 3K for a DAC. :thinking:

I’m about 6 hours into the Qobuz free trial beta program. I have gone back to using my Lumin App to stream Qobuz. After having been using Roon for the past few months going back to the Lumin app just reminds me how much I enjoy using Roon. I too am enjoying the Hi-Res streaming from Qobuz…finding it more pleasing to my ears than the MQA files from Tidal. I am all in with roon; lifetime membership and own a Nucleus, so I hope Qobuz is integrated into roon. I have nothing against Tidal but the true Hi-Res streaming offered by Qobuz is very appealing and would probably cause me to switch to Qobuz…assuming it is available through roon.

I’m speaking in general terms that don’t apply to you.

I might keep both if there are advantages in doing so. Tidal has been good for the most part…We’ll see how Qobuz pans out.

Looking forward to trying Qobuz, but the comments that show up in this forum about the library at Tidal being so limited (to rap in particular) are just not true. I have very diverse tastes in music (save for country) and almost everything I have searched for including a large number of classical recordings have been there.

I think it’s just a perception based on Tidal’s ownership and history. Their catalogue is pretty diverse.
The only problem I have with Tidal is that albums get removed a lot. That might be the same as Qobuz, just haven’t used it enough.
Personally, I hope Roon has a plan to integrate more than just Qobuz. Deezer would be another great option.

Well, got my Play Fi with Qobuz loaded up. Wont know which way to go until Roon Qobuz is out. Hopefully soon.

That is my plan, at least to get started. Since getting Tidal, I’ve gone from buying 50+ CDs a year to 3-4. There is room in my music budget for two streaming services, if they complement each other.

3 Likes

I’ll certainly run the two alongside each other for a while to see if one offers anything I can’t get from the other. I can’t see myself running both long term but we will see. And I am a Tidal fan so Qobuz will need to be better.

1 Like

I have both; complement each other very nicely. I have streamer with integrated support for Qobuz, but it would be nice with both streaming services (+Deezer) in Roon.

Edit:
Not much in one that you can not find in the other. But Tidal is better for local content for where I live, and Qobuz maybe slightly better for classical and jazz (find most stuff in both). What I prefer on Qobuz is the PCM 24bit 96 or 192khz vs MQA. Tidal is great for listening to MQA stuff, but I’m not a big fan of MQA in general (its lossy!). For Qobuz I often find it stored in 44.1Khz 24bit; but CD quality (16bit 44.1kHz) is nowhere to be found. And the Qobuz app (windows/macos) is horrible! No possibility for exclusive mode on audio output (which is an epic failure in my opinion). But if we get Qobuz support in Roon; the Qobuz streaming service will be actually something worth having.

2 Likes

In the Tidal vs Qobuz discussion, I’m still with Tidal, since Qobuz offers no family subscriptions. So if I would go the Qobuz route, we would still need an additional service. Might as well stay with Tidal for the whole family then.

saw here: Qobuz

Qobuz Family: We are working to create a family subscription, which we will alert you about at a later date.”

with the standard Qobuz subscription, you can have 3 devices simultaneously connected.

Over the past couple of years I’ve added over 600 albums from TIDAL to my Roon library. They’ve been from a variety of genres, predominantly Classical (241 albums). I’ve just checked availability of all albums on Qobuz using the Qobuz desktop app; only 17 albums are not available in Qobuz. This is for the Qobuz and TIDAL services here in the Netherlands. If I am so inclined, I can fill most of the gaps via buying CDs or downloads.

+1 … I checked using Focus: I’ve added 306 albums from TIDAL to my collection. It would be some work to change over, but to your point, not sure why I would bother. TIDAL seems to work well for “library augmentation.” The classical selections available are enough such that I have stopped buying CDs or downloads - for now.

And… I finally purchased an MQA-enabled streamer (Bluesound Node 2i) - my curiosity got the best of me for MQA and TIDAL.

I’m currently just exploring my options, but if Qobuz integration in Roon occurs, then it’s very likely that I would switch for the following reasons:

MQA is not of interest to me, but then again Qobuz Hi-Res streaming might overtax my internet connection, so I’d want to be able to tell Roon to stream only CD-quality.

1 Like

The booklets mainly seem to be on classical albums, so not very interesting to me :no_mouth: