Qobuz Integration [Now integrated]

We had over 13000 earlier this year… there was a spike in May again, and June has been our biggest month to date, so the number is growing!

8 Likes

I wouldn’t bother sending Qobuz e-mails or using their forum. I’ve been posting on their forum about the Qobuz-Roon integration, and I’ve received no reply. Nothing. I’ve cancelled my Qobuz account (a while ago) and want nothing to do with them. Too bad because I really wanted to like the company…

1 Like

I too wrote to them and had no reply. Extremely poor customer service. My friend has also had problems with their customer service. Considering the outlay that its customers make, it’s shoddy not to dignify them with a response. They ought to learn from Roon. As a result they have lost my HI Fi subscription.

2 Likes

Just to put a little pressure. I am absolutely enthusiastic about Roon even if I do not need multi room and similar. I do connect my laptop to a Dac and active loudspeakers, so very basic setup. Still I will not buy after trial becuse I do prefer Qobuz to Tidal, less hip hop and more focused on classical jazz and (of course) chansons. Therefore I must keep Audirvana and its also splendid sound. Nevertheless I will miss the help in putting a little order in my chaotic files. Looking forward to reading good news :wink:

Hi Alex, your “pressure” is welcome however it would also help if you could also direct it towards Qobuz … the Roon team wants this to happen however, Qobuz seem less interested.

This has just been posted on the Qobuz forums.

Hello,
Our team is working 100% on the update of the Qobuz Desktop application and that of PLAYER-browser on computer. The entire interface has been redesigned, research, discovery and navigation will be reviewed, all to be both more intuitive, more efficient and more enjoyable with availability before the end of the year.

The second step will be to Qobuz offer new features (such as those that you can enjoy in ROON). These features will be offered progressively and directly into Qobuz da natively from power in 2017.

If I’m understanding it correctly, Qobuz has just kissed off any hope of integration with Roon in favour of ripping off Roon’s features…

1 Like

was about to post the very same

at this point I’m not just :frowning: but :angry: indeed

As a previous 2.5 year subscriber, it became very clear their english came out a little confused at times, with their announcements. This is understandable, to a certain extent but I think they need to clear this one up, as I read it that they would integrate into Roon and not copy their features.

I left Qobuz due to the apps being very poor and not much changed in 2.5 years, so I am not sure they would have the coders to emulate Roon.

this time the english translation is very good: sounds exactly the same in french too :rolleyes:

Then their announcement should have been passed by their lawyers first, as i am sure they would not openly post in french or in english that they would take features from Roon and integrate into Qobuz.

As I said, my experience of them up until last year, when i got tired of waiitng for features, is development is very slow and the minimum, so it would be interesting to see how they implemented Roon (and indeed get away with it!)

oh, you’re right: there’s a mistype in french so the remaining part of the english translation is confused :rolleyes:
“directement dans QOBUZ da (instead of de) façon native à partir de courant(*) 2017”

correct translation is: *directly into Qobuz (application) in a native way, starting from 2017"

(*)“courant” meaning “current”, not “(electric) power” :lol:
“prochain” (upcoming) is what I would have used instead :wink:

Sigh, very disappointing, but not overly surprising as I’ve always gotten the sense that Qobuz generally struggle to differentiate arse from elbow.

We could also look at it the other way.

Nothing stopping roon to also make use of the provider that qobuz is going to use.

Qobuz is not ripping off roon, it just is integrating with a similar service as to roon which rolled their own.

This should be the service

Agreed that the wording is at minimum quite unfortunate.

Yah, I wouldn’t read this as a rip-off Roon, just more of a “we are going to give you some updates”.

I’m sure they can do some Roon-features, but Roon is far more than just some “features” – for example, can you see Qobuz reinventing RAAT or supporting your local files?

@pl_svn not the first time its happened I have to say :slight_smile:

@danny I am not :slight_smile: although I’d hope they wouldn’t take any features without permission and indeed wouldn’t even think about incorporating them into their desktop app.

In fact their desktop app for mac is horrible and hasn’t worked properly for me for 2.5 years and doesn’t seem to have been updated to this day.

They have allowed others (Audirvana) to incorporate their libary into his app, but I assume thats because the dev is also french.

Perhaps you need a french speaker who is your interface into Qobuz :slight_smile:

What a shame! I got excited when I saw the status update, but reading it left me totally stumped.

So hundreds of people asked for Roon integration, and after an eternity of silence they disingenuously change the status to ‘planned’, when they just mean they’ll add more ‘Roon-like’ features to Qobuz. How could they possibly imagine that’s what everyone wanted?!

Bizarre. Perhaps they could hire a communications company to help them out. If they couldn’t afford one full time, they could share them with Devialet perhaps.

The upshot is, I’m stuck with Tidal. Doh.

No one can say we didn’t try :cry:

The thing that has me stumped is that strategically it’s a dumb move. Integrating with Roon would bring new revenue streams whereas popping Roon like features into a Qobuz subscriber app only (possibly) makes you more attractive to existing Qobuz subscribers.

Unless a user’s tastes in music is rather limited it’s unlikely they’ll end up with a single streaming service, and given subscription to multiple streaming services no user in their right mind is going to want to run a different app for each streaming service. Roon is the answer to that problem, but it seems the guys at Qobuz haven’t quite cottoned on to the obvious.

The other thing that’s going to happen is streaming is going to become a complete commodity play where price is the only differentiator (it’s probably already there) …competing effectively is going to be about low cost operations and exclusive content…probably why Apple is keen to acquire Tidal…access to artists and the ability to monopolise their work. The successful streaming service provider of today will probably become the record co. (in what limited form they continue to exist) of tomorrow. The front-end is not where this battle will be won.

2 Likes

Oh dear. I really love Roon but the reliance on Tidal( who may be bought by Apple) makes me nervous. I like the integration of a streaming service but without it I’m afraid I may be tempted back to LMS and Qobuz. With other services not allowing the full implementation of Roon, the future is looking uncertain.

I don’t understand this decision. Inventing things “like Roon” is time consuming and expensive and unlikely to match Roon (which has had a lot of development). Co-operating with Roon by providing information and access is probably less time consuming and expensive (since Roon builds the software system) and is likely to result in something like the very well received Tidal/Roon integration.

1 Like

For whom ?