Qobuz News and Correspondence [closed thread]

Tidal hi-res = Tidal Masters = MQA

Isn’t MQA lossy ?

I know all this.

1 Like

Lossy compared to hi res.
Even most people who dislike MQA agree it is better than CD, the folding isn’t lossy.

And going a step further than ‘better than CD’, from Archimago:

"Objectively with the songs I examined, the software decoder works well to reconstruct what looks like the equivalent 24/96 download."

and

"Bottom line: TIDAL/MQA streaming does sound like the equivalent 24/96 downloads based on what I have heard and the test results"

https://archimago.blogspot.hk/2017/01/comparison-tidal-mqa-music-high.html

This applies to the 1st unfold only (up to 96kHz)… he’s done plenty of analysis on the stuff after the 1st unfold, which doesn’t need repeating of course.

2 Likes

For all those who are interested in this topic: two days ago I wrote an e-mail to Qobuz customer service basically telling them that I would be interested in subscribing to their streaming services, if the service would be fully integrated in Roon. Today I received feedback saying:

Zurzeit befinden wir uns mitten in den Verhandlungen mit Roon, um Qobuz in Roon Labs zu integrieren

At the moment we are negotiating with Roon regarding the integration of Qobuz.

We’ll see…

4 Likes

I have been reading this Qobuz speculation for months. It’s with mentioning that it will be no panacea for those of us who live in non-Qobuz countries, even when it comes to the U.S. and even if it establishes a relationship with Roon. I live in Brazil most of the time, and in Canada the rest of the time. Tidal has presences in both those countries; Qobuz does not. I’d hate to see Tidal disappear and have Roon establish a relationship with a provider that has such a small geographic footprint. Deezer hifi, on the other hand, is available in a wide variety of countries, including the two I have just mentioned.

1 Like

I cross my fingers that this is going to happen asap … I will cancel Tidal immediately and switch to Qobuz.

If someone form Qobuz is reading this … I left Qobuz for Roon and will be more than happy to come back once you have integrated into Roon.

4 Likes

Why would they drop Tidal when they integrate with Quobuz?

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about Roon dropping Tidal. I’m concerned that at some point Tidal might go out of business. I certainly hope not, but it doesn’t seem to be faring particularly well financially.

In context, it certainly sounded like it. Can we leave the generic Tidal doom and gloom to the other threads?

2 Likes

Pardon me? Are you the arbiter of what’s relevant to this discussion? I’m not dwelling on gloom and doom; I elaborated because you asked. Of course there’s an assumption in any discussion of Roon and Qobuz that if Qobuz is in the cards it’s because of the potential danger of the current streaming partner not being able to meet Roon subscribers’ needs in the future. That makes the future of Tidal relevant to this discussion, whether you approve or not. For that matter, it was part of this discussion long before I mentioned it.

What is it that makes you think that the loss making Qobuz is going to last longer than the loss making Tidal?

1 Like

or Spotify for that matter (still losing money)…

Roonbuzifyal… will conquer the world.

.sjb

2 Likes

Roonbuzifyalzer

1 Like

Personally I will be subscribing to both!

5 Likes

Can some one explain how the hell Qobuz can charge £15.49 for the CD download of Suedes new album The Blue Hour when and I can buy the Cd for £9.99. Even with sublime sub its more expensive to buy than the disc. Its 2018 when will this over pricing stop.

I checked Qobuz and it’s because it’s a high resolution download. If I’m correct, 24-44.1. I’d recommend purchasing 24-96 :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, I agree with you that this is the same BS all over again. Could and should be much cheaper. No physical disc, booklet, printing costs. By the way, this is not just Qobuz, it’s major label / corporate behaviour :wink:

Nope that’s the price for the cd version. The suppose hires 24/44.1 is 17.99 lol!

1 Like