Qobuz News and Correspondence [closed thread]

The first one to play nice with Roon will get a lot of subscribers if/when Tidal goes under.

1 Like

Do we have any idea how many Roon users there are and how many with a Tidal subscription?

I was at Best Buy today looking at dinner and wandered in to the magnolia section to check out some b&w and they are running Roon. Nice surprise.

Here’s the entire quote in English. I presume they were responding to a query as to whether they would work with Roon in the future as in the past its been reported they had no interest.

'This project is still planned and is important for us. At the moment, however, we have no specific dates to give this. We do everything we can to adapt our service to the wishes of our customers.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Greetings from Paris,

Customer Service | Customer Service’

It’s hard to tell what they mean, because they have said in the past that they intend to include “Roon like features” in their own software. Whether they are talking about that or Roon is not clear. The words “still planned” implies their own software rather than Roon integration, which sfaik has not been planned in the past.

1 Like

also… the big difference between Qobuz and others is they also sell digital downloads (at very good prices. even more if one has a Sublime subscription. I, personally, buy a lot)

The way Roon integrates streaming, mixing local and provider’s stuff as if everything was local (what I personally dislike about Roon’s “not me too integration”), might make purchasing stuff less “necessary” for users so that Qobuz will loose revenues

That isn’t true from my perspective. Everything I have bought in recent history was available in lossless form on Tidal. I don’t consider anything on Tidal as ‘mine’, even with the Roon driven illusion that it is part of ‘my’ collection.

2 Likes

The cheap purchasing of hi res is what makes Qobuz appealing .

3 Likes

In a perfect world Roon would be integrated with Qobuz. I understand that Qobuz has a new, different, thinking CEO. Maybe CEO’s from Roon and Qobuz should have a drink together.

1 Like

Qobuz’s appeal is too narrow. Roon really needs a mix of providers at different price points and musical appeal.

1 Like

Agreed, I use it to buy digital files sometimes but their catalogue is not great for my choices.

1 Like

I’m all for more streaming providers, but the metadata in purchased Qobuz downloads is truly APPALLING. I don’t mean the content, which is OK (even if without any dates) but the format is ridiculous. Totally non standard and no easy way to sort it out. Just have to delete the whole lot and start again…

I really hope Roon get more providers, but to have that rubbish littered over the gorgeous Roon interface would be catastrophic… I’m sure Roon won’t do that to us, will you @mike?

well… when I buy from Qobuz I do agree metadata is, at the very least, a mess (varies label by label though)

oh… btw… UPC code is always there and most of the times corresponds with the one identified by Roon. when it doesn’t it’s because album’s digital download version is not (… yet?) in AllMusic/Rovi database

although… everything looks fine (or at least more than just acceptable) nonetheless in Lightning DS when I use my Auralic Aries to stream from Qobuz

and Lightning DS just reads and displays file’s metadata whilst Roon instead uses some of it to identify the album then displays its own metadata once done :wink:

Let’s see where we are standing with streaming services.
Tidal got in American ownership; main focus on hiphop, soul and R&B (I wonder why :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: All other content is old or not at par. Financial problems and heavy betting on a licensing company MQA
Qobuz got a difficult start but overcame and has a new leadership. Their content was already strong in Classical but in the last year they have grown big time in Jazz, R&B and pop. Besides that they have been loyal to high resolution content.
Spotify is still very strong and could be a real contender when they finaly stream in High Res
All others are marginal players. Apple is in a closed loop.

You forget Amazon and Google. Both are big players.

Seriously? In High Resolution content?

I wonder what the factual basis for your claim is. Do you have any examples of Tidal content being old and not at par, compared to Qobuz or other lossless streaming offers? Because, personally, I never got this impression (quite on the contrary, tbh), and I seldomly listen to Hip Hop, RnB or soul.

1 Like

Is Deezer a competitor at all?

I suppose that people can get this impression of Tidal being focused on rap/RnB music by looking on the main page of the player. It is, often, focused on this type of music. That’s why I always, almost immediately, switch to the “Genre” tab. And I agree that Tidal music catalogue is on par with any other streaming service. Although I recently moved to Qobuz. For some time at least :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Over the last 2 years I subscribed 3 times a Tidal trial membership. The last time was 3 months ago. I compared with Qobuz, both on content and audio quality. In most classical searches Tidal offered lots and lots of cheap and old recordings. If you sort on Classical and then try to find MQA recordings… OEPS.
Also the GUI within Roon is very limited. I still get the newsletters from Tidal. It is every time the same kind of content. If you compare that with Qobuz, you see that they are brothering their scope and every newsletter has different genres and or specialties. Also Tidal has occasional dropouts. I live in the Netherlands and have a very stable 200Mbits internet connection. Qobuz seldom has dropouts. And best of all it sounds better on high-end audio equipment.

1 Like