Qobuz playback stops mid track [Fixed in Roon 1.8 (Build 806)]

Any news on this? Made the mistake of playing Qobuz via Roon today. Roon crashed and rebooted once again and rescanned my source drive.

I had another crash from playing Qobuz today. 15 min into a session. Is a fix on the way?

No. Been over a month since Dylan reported here that the Roon QA team was investigating. Either they’re overloaded with problems and this one is of less importance than others, or it’s a pretty tough one to “untangle”. Since this one seems to be Qobuz specific to Roon (I can use Qobuz without issue via other players) you might want to ping Qobuz to see if they’ve any reports of similar symptoms.

If unresolved this will impact their bottom line.

Any news on this?

I updated my Nucleus to build 795 tonight and made the mistake of turning Roon Radio on after playing library tracks from my HDD. Promptly got a Qobuz crash just three songs in. This is getting very, very annoying. Qobuz is essentially unusable via Roon for me right now. Is there anything I can do to assist the support team with this?

At this point, since it’s been nearly 2 months since I started this thread, you might want to set your Roon radio only to source your library. I’ve gotten to using another player on another device to access Qobuz and feed my system that way. It’s clearly not ideal — no radio functionality. You may not have that option.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can rearrange my rig to accommodate a different streamer. Totally not ideal.

Part of me wonders whether this bug is caused by Qobuz requiring a bit too much system memory, which would crash a regular Nucleus (4GB), but not a Nucleus+ (8GB) or a properly outfitted home-brew NUC. Are the only people experiencing this issue base model Nucleus users? I certainly am. I’ve ordered some additional RAM modules to take me up to 16GB and will report back.

You bring up a possible cause, though it would seem unlikely. Your acquisition of additional memory will be interesting — especially if there’s a memory leak in the Roon code unique to Qobuz specific processing. A symptom of running out of system resources is an OS panic which may lead to a system reboot.

Only the Roon tech support has both problem reports and the version of hardware and configuration info of users (like DSP and other factors).

What’s disappointing is the lack of any communication from support.

Hello @stevebythebay / @etr385 ,

Thank you for the reports here! Our team is looking into this. I don’t have any specific timelines I can provide just yet, but we’ll be sure to update everyone when we have more information. Thanks!

Do you have all you need from users on this problem? Given there’s been at least one update since I reported this back in March would additional logs help? I could restart my usage of Qobuz via Roon again to capture addition failure events.

Today I tested Qobuz again. Roon failed around 8:53 or thereabouts and when I tried to use it soon after a curious message about updating and needing to do something with cataloging again popped up. But of course there hasn’t been an update in quite some time and nothing that I can tell suggests a new one today. Let me know if another log needs capturing.

I also see this frequently. Roon simply stops after one Qobuz track. I then see a horizontal flashing line along the play line

Paul: your symptoms seem somewhat different. Suggest you provide details to support on your setup and ask what other items, such as logs, they may want to receive from you.

Any update? Guess we’ll get to U.S. 70% vaccination before this gets fixed.

Certainly hope bugs are not piling up on Roon like Covid variants.

Hi @stevebythebay

Sorry for the wait here. I can confirm that we are in the final stages of testing and, while I can’t give specific dates, we are hoping this will be available soon.

OK. So there’s light at the end of the tunnel :+1:. I’d be happy to be a Guinea pig / beta tester for the code, if that would help. However, I suspect this will be but one “fix” in a new release.

Hi @stevebythebay ,

We’ve just released a new version of Roon (Build 806) that contains improvements in this area, can you please try to update to the latest Roon version and let us know if the issue is resolved on your end? Thanks!

Testing Qobuz “Jazz Newcomers” right now. Will let you know how it goes - one way or another.

1 Like

Well had no reboots during this 4 hour playlist. Seems the patch (likely for a memory leak) has worked. Will let you know if things don’t continue to behave.

2 Likes

Only strange occurrence was that my dCS Upsampler got stuck thinking it was playing MQA though nothing in the Qobuz playlist offered this. Restarting the Upsampler didn’t help but restoring settings did. Guess I’ll need to keep watching this for any behavioral changes.

I may be crazy but sonically this new release seems a bit different. Have yet to put my finger on how it’s changed. Could simply be my imagination…(or this evenings wine).

1 Like