Qobuz price reduction (UK)

We’ll just have to wait and see. I’m quite optimistic, though, as integration with Primephonic is not about recommendation algorithms, but bespoke curation (hand-picked playlists). Why Primephonic needs to shut down, that’s probably for technical reasons. I am a subscriber to Primephonic, and even though the app works well, there’s room for improvement. Of course, Mr Steffens will welcome a nice paycheque, but to be fair, he always believed that one of the big players would eventually have to step in and take over the niche platforms, as they stood no real chance of surviving in a very competitive market. Look at Qobuz: where would it stand without Roon integration? I have been a subscriber to Qobuz since the beginning (I live in France), and their app hasn’t made any noticeable progress for many years.
I think in a year or two the streaming market will have changed considerably, with some players no longer in existence. That’s one of the reasons I’m happy that Apple seems to take classical music seriously, because Apple will be around for a very long time.
Let’s resume this discussion once the new AM classical music app will be released.

1 Like

Hold on…
Pretty sure the thread title was Qobuz price reduction (UK).

Not PrimePhonic and Apple save the classical streaming world …again😎

C’mon people there are threads for that subject already.

11 Likes

Another OT :slight_smile:

Survival of the Primephonic vision at Apple might come down to whether the Primephonic staff are kept or replaced with Apple programmers. I have difficulty seeing Apple in the world of bespoke curation and would expect a remake.

That said, Apple will probably save the world anyway :joy:

3 Likes

These Apple and Primephonic comments aren’t so OT considering that the topic is about Qobuz reducing prices due to the price war started by Apple, and what’s at stake is Qobuz’s survival. Primephonic are exhibit A.

Dedicated thread

1 Like

Apple’s acquisition of Primephonic is central to THIS thread. After all, Qobuz didn’t decide to offer a reduction in price out the goodness of their heart. They must be feeling the squeeze. Not so long ago Qobuz said that they couldn’t possibly lower their price, as being unsustainable in the long run. Interestingly, Qobuz lowered their price not immediately after Apple Music went hi-res, but two days after the announcement of the Primephonic-Apple deal. Qobuz is much cherished among classical music lovers – and should those lovers make the switch to AM, Qobuz will basically be dead.
And this also affects Roon, hugely. Should Qobuz fold, Roon will be in trouble too.
Maybe the best would be for Roon to be acquired by Apple as well. I know that Roon wouldn’t be averse to that. Why shouldn’t it happen.? Apple would have cornered the audiophile market.

Should that happen there goes ROCK, among other things.

1 Like

If classical is 4th most popular genre, the number of classical subscribers out there will dwarf the number of Roon subscribers. Orders of magnitude difference. Not even same ballpark.

Roon are not on Apple’s radar for subscriber numbers.

You are safe for the moment :grinning:, as it is right now Apple is as far from the audiophile meaning as it can be.

Using roon doesn’t make you an audiophile and being an audiophile doesn’t mean you have to use roon…

How more audiophile streaming can you get than offering hi-res content? Which, then, according to you, would be the audiophile streaming platforms?

Why then did Apple acquire Primephonic – that’s after all classical music only

And you know this? Tell us more…

1 Like

For anyone that is interested… I had just taken out a full year subscription of Qobuz Studio Premier Family (UK) ten days ago and they quickly agreed to refund me the prorated difference for the rest of the year. Very good customer service…

4 Likes

Why would Apple care about <200k Roon users is my question?

1 Like

Good to know. Mine renewed on 26th August and so I might give that a go. Thanks.

Yes same time frame as me. I just used the live chat function on their website and they said no problem.

1 Like

You have to “audiophile” play that content, which Apple does not do too well at the moment in their ecosystem (airplay, really???).

I don’t think that there is such thing.

Really ?
Please explain how…

Because it explains (partly) why Qobuz dropped their price – two days after the acquisition of Primephonic by Apple.