Qobuz price reduction (UK)

Yes same time frame as me. I just used the live chat function on their website and they said no problem.

1 Like

You have to “audiophile” play that content, which Apple does not do too well at the moment in their ecosystem (airplay, really???).

I don’t think that there is such thing.

Really ?
Please explain how…

Because it explains (partly) why Qobuz dropped their price – two days after the acquisition of Primephonic by Apple.

I guess you don’t stream music then.

I think that is really just conjecture on your part.

There are established threads for the PrimePhonic/Apple discussion .
I do not see this as being included in that realm unfortunately.

Obviously you want to keep plugging away so carry on, I’m done.

O, I do, but I get my “audiophile” excitement from somewhere else (my system sounds way much better with a disc than it’s streamed counterpart, through the “same” gear, hence my disbelieve).

It’s a basic business scenario. A small company being acquired by a Very Big Company. Lots of money to be made. You’d have to be very idealistic to say no, and take a huge wager that your small company will still be around in a few years’ time. Plus: Apple buys various small companies every week. I’m not saying it’s likely – but then again, who had the Primephonic deal on their cards?

A big company is only going to buy a small company if there is an advantage to themselves. Otherwise the small company can just go out of business as the big company expands.

We obviously don’t agree. But you’re right, I’d better stop posting on this thread, as, it seems that most members would rather feel excited about the price drop rather than start worrying about the fact that lower revenues also cut to the heart of a business model and may lead to cardiac arrest.

True, true, but don’t you think that Roon would solve plenty of connectivity problems for Apple?

Seems like Apple acquiring Primephonic helps Qobuz more than it hurts them. My understanding was that Apple will basically shut down Primephonic and come back in a year or so with an improved version or integrate the features/catalog into Apple Music.

So where do Primephonic users go in the mean time? Qobuz (and/or roon+qobuz) seem positioned to offer them a new home.

1 Like

It depends on how the Roon app compares to Apple’s (which I’ve never looked at). Roon have years of experience integrating their software and hardware with a large number of audio systems whereas Apple stay within their own ecosytem as much as possible. Do they need Roon? My guess would be the main reason for Apple lossless, Atmos, and Primephonic App are to bring more people into the Apple hardware/software ecosystem (while simultaneously squashing Spotify, who will have a lot of catching up to do). So they may not care much about Roon’s expertise.

But they are not concerned with that. They only care about their own eco system, which sells units not other people’s stuff that doesnt. They are a hardware company that also does software. The software is to keep people in that eco system.

I guess folks in US have been fortunate. Annual subscription paid up front has been $150. I am into my second year already.

1 Like

Qobuz annual down $NZ70 here - Tidal next? or not…?

Curious when/if this will happen and also very curious of Spotify’s HiFi tier pricing. Apple have shaken up the streaming world.

I had sent them an email asking exactly that question, and they answered that the reduction is a consequence of potential clientele’s demand and market development.
The deal about turnover’s percental share for the artists remains unaffected.

So, there you have it…
Stay healthy and discover new music as long as you can…

1 Like

And not in a good way. But I guess it was going to happen one way or another unfortunately.

1 Like

It was indeed expected and this is not the end of it.