Qobuz through Roon is not working

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My Qobuz is not working when I attempt to play it through Roon. In trouble-shooting, I had missed the message from Qobuz to pay for their annual fee, which I did and Qobuz works perfectly. However, I am unable to get Qobuz content to play through Roon. Please see the attached file with the error message I receive consistently. I have logged out of Qobuz and logged back in. Roon settings (see the settings screen message) displays that Qobuz is connected. The sync library button returns no errors and returns a new time value.

Help!

John

I removed a screenshot that showed your email address. It is not a good idea to post your email address in a public forum…

1 Like

Hi @Family_Cross,

Have you had any changes in your situation? Typically this can be fixed by signing out of Qobuz under settings>services, restarting your core, and signing back in again.

Let me know how things are going and I will happily help you out if issues persist!

Thanks,
Wes

Hey Wes,

No changes. I followed your advice and tried again to a) sign out, b) restart and c) sign in.

No change in the result. I get the same error.

Any help will be appreciated. Just burning dollars and not having any buz to listen to pass the time.

Thank you,
John

Hi @Family_Cross,

Let’s take a look at diagnostic logging then. I have tried to do that and am not seeing your core online. Can you bring it up and let me know when done?

I’ll get back to you with my findings.

Wes

I wrote this on 11/11. I did not post it correctly.

Hey Wes,

I just re-started the core again a few minutes before this.

FYI. Prior to re-starting it, I followed your original protocol of signing out of Qobuz, restarting the core, then signing into Qobuz again. This was due to Apple’s drop of Ventura 13.0.1 which I had already upgraded. Unfortunately, the same result occurs, i.e., Qobuz fails inside of Roon.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
John

Hi @Family_Cross,

I got the diagnostics information I was looking for. One thing is standing out to me is that there are several connection failures.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your network? Also, are you running any AV or security software? When I updated to Ventura I had issues with internet connectivity and Roon alike. Under system settings>network on your Mac, can you please try disabling the firewall and any filters listed there as a potential test?

Our next step is to reinstall Roon from scratch and I will list these steps below!

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Please let me know what you find. I am almost done for the day but am planning to check back in tomorrow and/or Monday.

Wes

Hey Wes,

Responding to your questions:

Network. We are in an apartment building with about 150 apartments, therefore, a large number of wifi networks exist. While the apartment itself is not large, it is a concrete building. I had the ISP (Comcast is the only option) drop the network in the most central of the rooms where we have 1/2 rack with minimal equipment, e.g., NAS, another light duty server, cable modem, mesh router, and the network switch for the rack. We have a Netgear CM2000 (cable modem) on the drop. That modem is connected to an Orbi 850 mesh system via its router. We have 4 additional satellite nodes to ensure that our wifi network has the strongest signal in each apartment room. As far as I can tell, the network drops are mostly a result of Comcast infrastructure in the building, e.g., the Orbi network rarely reports an issue.

Running AV or Security Software. We run no additional AV or security software.

MacOS Firewall/filters. The firewall is inactive on the server that runs the main account that hosts the Roon core. There is a second account on this server for some personal software.

If I am reading your message implications correctly, e.g., that disabling the firewall and re-testing was the next step, this is not required, so I suspect I will need to move forward with the reinstall instructions.

I will wait for you to confirm my assumptions after you’ve reviewed my responses.

Thank you,
John

Wes, In addition to my last response, one of the instructions in the reinstall sequence is confusing to me, e.g.,

" * Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder"

My Roon database is stored in a unique folder only accessed by Roon on our NAS. I still have the music folder stored stored in the user account under MacOS on the server’s installed HD. The Roon software is installed on the server in the Applications folder. Is the reference regarding “to generate a new Roon folder” only referring to the Roon database back-up? Should I delete the Roon application from the Applications folder on the server?

Thank you,
John

2nd update. I forgot a word in my last update. The 3rd paragraph should have started with “My Roon database BACKUP is stored in a unique folder only accessed by Roon on our NAS.”

Sorry about that.

1 Like

Hi @Family_Cross,

My apologies for the delayed response.

Just to verify, is your core wired or using the mesh wifi?

Was there anything under filters?

The idea is to have a fresh install with no active database and see how things run. Just be sure you have a solid backup before you rename or delete any folders. Once done, reinstall Roon and see if the problem persists PRIOR to reimporting your database.

Wes

Wes.

Core’s network connectivity. The core sits on the mesh. I’ve tested wiring from the satellite; however, it receives the same outages that stem from Comcast outages we see, e.g., 9:30 AM seems to be a scheduled outage on weekdays (maybe when they patch their panel type of activities?). The 2.4 GHz runs around -20 to -25 dBm, whereas the 5.0 GHz runs at -30 to -35 dBm. That server that the Roon core sits on prefers the 5.0 GHz network.

On filters. With the macos firewall not active, I’m not sure what you are referring to as “filters.” Would you please clarify?

Over the holiday here (US, Thanksgiving), I’ll work on the back-ups and install on this coming Friday.

Thank you,
John

Hi John,

While I understand that things were working for you at one point, Roon is very specific that a core should always be wired. Is it possible to wire your core to the switch (not a mesh node wired connection).

Here’s a screenshot of the filters area:

Wes

Regarding moving to an ethernet connection, our landlord frowns on tenants cutting holes in their walls. Regarding Roon’s Core requiring a wired connection, before I ponied up for the lifetime subscription, I carefully read the requirement and, because of my background in systems and software, went to the community boards to understand just how antiquated Roon’s network implementation was. From the tea leaves there, I got comfortable as I knew we would be moving to temporary housing at the time for a couple of years.

Note that I can fake a wired connection in the apartment, e.g., run a wire from the satellite to the server in that room, but a) it won’t have substantially more bandwidth than the room-dedicated satellites, and b) it will still be subject to Comcast issues in our building. Is there any return on doing that for Roon?

Regarding filters, I’ve attached the server’s network system setting screenprint - no filters present in that. Should I be looking someplace else?

Separately, I have a customer service thread out to Qobuz. I’ve noticed some anomalies with their account information that may be related to when I accidentally let that account lapse.

In the interest of Roon science, I’m hoping to get that feedback from Qobuz before I re-implement Roon. I will update ASAP as I don’t want to spend any more cycles of yours until I know that other components are stable.

FYI. MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 is far more stable than the initial release. The Roon Core is generally available. I’ve not noticed it going up and down as it did with the initial Ventura release.

Thank you,
John

Wes, Qobuz has not responded as of yet to me. It appears that when I missed the message to renew the account, they went into suspend mode as expected. The issue after looking at it may be that their software removed my streaming subscription, so when I tried to make the payment it failed. Note this is my speculation. Will update when I see a response.
Thank you,
John

1 Like

Still no response.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.