Qobuz vs Tidal compared

btw, for those carping about all the hip hop in Tidal, the latest update is fully customized to your listening habits. looks marvelous, and lots of interesting new personalized mixes and radio stations too.

2 Likes

I am surprised that people still have this perception (I have seen this mentioned plenty).

This hasnā€™t been a problem for a long time, to me the biggest problem Tidal has is its outrageous price difference.

4 Likes

Just updated now and looks the same. Iā€™ve always had playlists and other recommendations based on my listening habits.

I did say before, to me, Tidalā€™s UI looks better than others.

3 Likes

However, in Qobuz there is 204 Wanda Jackson albums vs Tidal 59. And same artist has more hires albums in Qobuz.
Seems to me I have to drop Qobuz out.

Unfortunately by skipping MQA master and playing the music on CD Quality means you are streaming FOLDED MQA encoded track anyway. Which is even worse than MQA itself.

If you want to have a pure experience of untouched and lossless track you need to listen the the ones WITHOUT ā€œMasterā€ label on Tidal.

Thatā€™s why I donā€™t bother with Tidal [moderated] and I have my subscription with Qobuz. Which is the only one, real, lossless streaming service which fully support Wasapi in exclusive mode.

5 Likes

I have both Tidal Masters and Qobuz high resolution and like them both.

2 Likes

If I could have the same deal on Tidal that you guys in the US can get, then I would think about tidal again. 240 ā‚¬/year in Western Europe is way too expensive, compared to Qobuz. I am really happy with Qobuz and HRA.

4 Likes

You are clearly lucky to be in a region supported by Qobuz

Its only last year that Qobuz discovered the Equator when they expanded to Australia . Us mere mortals in Africa will just have to be patient and put up with the Excellent service from Tidal

2 Likes

I am indeed.
UK here so Qobuz been here for a while already and I really appreciate what they have to offer.

Without MQA, Tidal could have been SO MUCH betterā€¦

1 Like

I have bothā€¦Iā€™ve had Tidal for yearsā€¦added Qobuz about a year ago. I find myself adding Qobuz albums over Tidal offeringsā€¦unless Tidal offers the recording with a higher resolution rate than Qobuz. Can I tell which is ā€˜bestā€™ by comparisonā€¦who knows?

Both are great platformsā€¦but not without faultsā€¦audioā€¦you have to try it on to see if it fits your personal needsā€¦advice simply canā€™t override your own ā€˜ears onā€™ experience.

I have the same 1400+ albums in Tidal, Qobuz, and Apple Music. Works for me.

1 Like

I almost got there. Almost. Made sure all the albums I had in Tidal were in Qobuz, set Qobuz to primary, got used to the Qobuz app. Did it all before my Tidal renewal date (still on $119/year through BestBuy) so I could cancel.

But. But. But.

Tidal is integrated into Tesla, and has better auto-playlists for just driving around. Canā€™t deal with Spotify, not because of catalog or in-car sound quality, but because of playlist repetition / discovery.

So. So. So.

Another year of Tidal subscription. Damn these integrations.

Iā€™ve been using Qobuz for almost a year now and one thing Iā€™ll say for tidal, their support never told me to delete my library.

I recently got hit with the dreaded ā€œalbums not showing in roonā€ Qobuz bug. It happened 3 times before. The first two times, Roon leaned on Qobuz to make sure it got fixed (itā€™s apparently an issue on the Qobuz side). The second time took longer but eventually did resolve itself.

This time was different. Well over a week all of my albums were sapped from Roon. They were still in Qobuz but just refused to show up in Roon.

I contacted Qobuz support and after some initial steps, they spoke to their dev team and came back with:

Use soundiiz to reimport your library.

Using a premium third party tool to resolve a qobuz issue. Was pretty infuriating. I had to delete my entire library and reimport them. Losing a lot of edits, tags and other stuff in the process.

I never have these issues on Tidal and from my experience itā€™s much more stable.

The funny thing is, even if support hadnā€™t told me to wipe and reimport I would of had to do that anyway. Another really annoying issue with Qobuz is that if an album changes in anyway (genre gets updated, labels edit something) then the copy in your library gets flagged as unavailable. You have to find the new copy and add that.

There is nowhere in Roon that you can see this and if you are just shuffling a genre, your track list or anything like that itā€™ll just quietly skip to the next without you knowing.

Before the latest issue almost 25% of my library was like this, broken.

The long of short of it is Qobuz has excellent curation, some features I really like (cut library by genre as an example) but they have so many stability issues that when my subscription expires Iā€™ll be looking at whatever the new integrations are with Roon. Or go back to Tidal.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have a Qobuz subscription and my better half is considering giving up Spotify to move to Tidal on the basis of home integration with Roon and expanding upon my Qobuz subscription.

In the photo below, it doesnā€™t look like Roon settings gives you the option to automatically select non ā€œMasterā€ labelled Tidal tracks, unless I have misunderstood what you have saidā€¦?

1 Like

Thank you @Jim_F! I canā€™t see this screen because I do not yet have Tidal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You donā€™t need Tidal to see a screen shot. Itā€™s Roon - Settings - Services where you click on Tidal, when you have it, and choose the resolution. It should also match your Tidal subscription.

This is what I mean, but now I know. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yep, glad you found what you are looking for! :slight_smile:
Happy Christmas with Roon!

1 Like

Whatā€™s the easiest way to setup a good comparison. I have Roon obviously, and I subscribe to Tidal and now Qobuz.

Can you setup a playlist or somethingā€¦.pick a song that is on both streaming services, first one tidal then next song Qobuz.

I noticed that Roon defaults to one service or another, depending on your settings. Could someone explain how you go about adding a song from one service specifically to a playlistā€¦. Then that same song from the other playlist.

Thanks