Quadraphonic Music sent as 5.1 / 7.1

@support - There is a setting within the Audio section “Send stereo/mono content as 7.1 (or 5.1)” which works fine. Leaving this off allows a multichannel amp to do post-processing (Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X or Auro 3D) to add a derived centre channel and/or surround sound.

However, there is no such setting for Quadraphonic sound which is always sent as 7.1 or 5.1 with a silent centre channel. This prevents my (and I suspect most) amp’s post processing deriving a centre channel. Could you change this so that quad music follows the setting for Mono/Stereo (renamed to Mono/Stereo/Quad) or alternatively add a second setting just for quad?

Many thanks.

Just a question. Why would you want to artificially create a center channel on 4.0/4.1 material instead of allowing your main front speakers to image a center? That’s the way I listen to quad content, anyway. JCR

It’s a matter of taste. I feel you get better imaging, especially away from the sweet spot, with a derived center. I listen to all my stereo material that way!

Hello @Michael_Kraftman,

Based on our experiences with HDMI, many receivers would fail to playback audio sent in a true 4ch configuration. In addition, the HDMI stack on many drivers often does not allow for any other configuration besides for 2ch, 6ch, and 8ch.

I am moving this thread into the “Feature Request” sub-category because Roon is working as intended in this scenario.

-John