Quboz/Tidal MQA confusion

maybe a no MQA format in focus would work but with radio maybe not.

@wizardofoz. Iā€™m looking for this answer as well.

@Jim_F. I am not getting the same results as you. Roon radio is randomly picking from tidal and Quboz. The example I showed above took place ~25 min from each other after playing Beggars Banquet. Albeit ~70% were coming from Quboz.

You can select Tidalā€™s streaming quality in Settings / Services / Edit:

Tidal Settings

If you select HiFi you will get CD Quality and no MQA from Tidal. This should do what you want unless you have MQA files in your local library :upside_down_face:

Tim

1 Like

Fantastic! Thank you Tim for the solution.

Itā€™s a non-issue for me. I donā€™t care if Roon Radio picks a song from Tidal or Qobuz as long as it picks something that might be of interest to me. If I decide to add the album to my library, as I said before, I will add the highest resolution from both Tidal and Qobuz. When I later play the album, I will choose the one I want to hear at that time.

Question. If my DAC can decode MQA should I turn off MQA decoding on Roon? I currently have my DAC for render MQA.

Iā€™m not sure there is a best way to do this or not. For my Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier, I have the Roon MQA decoding turned off and let the Meridian do the decoding and rendering. For my Oppo 203, non-MQA DAC, I let Roon do the first unfold (decoding).

In the Knowledge Base you find additional info to this subject: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_x_MQA

Like always there are a few exceptions, but basically either way is correct.

1 Like