Question about displays in Roon on FireTV

Navigating to the Core’s URL for displays ${coreIp}/display" on a Fire TV/Cube works, but the TV screen goes blank after 30 minutes even if I disable the screen saver. Anyone found a solution to this?

1 Like

@darqman flagging @suppoprt for you here and moving to the support forum.

I’m sorry I posted in the wrong forum. I didn’t post it in support because I realize it’s not a problem with Roon but with the Fire TV gear. I just thought maybe other users experienced the issue and found work around.

Not really the wrong forum…just support is a better place to start. It might even be better in Tinkering (as its not a supported device for general browser setup) but let’s see if any support folks can make any suggestions.

The issue could be that as the FTV is not actively pulling content its going into power/screen save mode, but I’m only guessing. I have a FireTV but never thought to try this as I have a chrome cast device, but seldom use that either for display.

Hey @darqman — I appreciate you bringing this report to us!

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

In an effort to better understand exactly what you’re experiencing, please verify the following:

• Does the screen go blank even if it’s actively displaying something? Or does this only happen when the Roon logo is visible before the Display is activated for a zone?
  • Can you confirm what browser you are using on the Fire TV?
  • When you enter the Display URL does it appear as a Display in Settings > Display?

Thanks!

@dylan
I have the same problem.
No difference using Silk Browser or Firefox.
Roon detecs Browser as display without any problem and display works great.
But there is nothing that prevents that the device start screensaver while display is running, even if it changes song display after each track.
While screensaver can be disabled, the shutdown after 30 minutes of inactivity cannot be disabled on fire tv. And exactly 30 minutes after starting display the fire tv is going into standby (except you press a key on the fire tv remote in the meantime).
Seems like the Roon display didn`t count as activity.

I’m glad it’s not just me. I figured it was related to the Fire TV hardware. It does seem odd the Fire TV hardware would go into stand by when an app it’s running is receiving network traffic. I guess I’ll invest in some additional Chromecasts which will always remain on. It’s just a pain to switch inputs because my older sets won’t switch to the input with signal automatically.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Using Web Display with Roon

A post was split to a new topic: LG OLED as Web Display

Hello @darqman and @AE67,

I just wanted to update you and let you know that we have opened a ticket with our development team to investigate this behavior further. We can’t make any promises that this is something we can change here, but I’ll be sure to keep you updated on what the team finds.

Thank you both for your reports — We really appreciate the feedback.

1 Like