That’s what a manufacturer must say…
But your chain is (for example):
DSD 256 --> PCM 352.8 --> analog --> PCM 96 --> some DSPs --> analog

I would try to check, the whole thing with your ears, if not something like:
DSD 256 --> PCM 88.2 --> analog --> PCM 96 --> some DSDPs --> analog
sounds better or equals or more worse …

1 Like

Hello Peter @wklie ,

My Lumin U1 sometimes when it wakes up doesn’t sound 100%, I mean the SQ is not up to the mark. When I restart the U1 by powering it off and powering it back ON, the SQ is again back to 100%… After today’s upgrade it sounds wonderful.

Have you heard of a similar case?

Regards,
Tushar…

No, I haven’t heard of it. “Wakes up” - you mean from an idle sleep (setting)?

Yes, after few hours of idle time. Sometimes there would be screeches from the speaker too, once I restart, all back to normal…

Is that USB output -> GAIA -> Terminator Plus -> A500?

Did this occur before adding the GAIA?

Yes, the screeching sound happened once before GAIA, yesterday it happened again with GAIA. My Topology, U1 to GAIA is via USB, GAIA to T+ is via I2s and T+ to A500’s is via XLR’s.

Whenever I feel the SQ is not upto the mark, I restart the U1.

Please disconnect the USB to GAIA, then use AES output to GAIA. See if it sounds better or worse. This will limit the PCM rate to 192kHz.

What kind of cable do I need for AES connectivity? I will try it out and give you an update.

Alvin posted this in the Denafrips thread previously:

If possible, do not use less than 1.5m length.

2 Likes

Hi Peter, Just wanted you to know that mu U1 has performed perfectly since day one. Thank you. Happy Holidays. John

1 Like

Is it advisable to switch on ROON CORE MQA decoding or use the U1 MQA Decoding?

Which one is better, or both yield the same results?

This should always be enabled.

A few users preferred setting MQA Capabilities - Renderer Only to other choices with Decoder. If you try both and hear a difference, please let me know.

1 Like

I felt the BASS was punchier with MQA Capabilities - Renderer Only, and ROON CORE MQA decoding Switched ON. Just my personal observation, for the below track around 9 - 10 sec mark…

1 Like

Hello… My U1 goes to sleep (The display switches off after sometime) though in the Lumin app I have selected IDLE SLEEP as NEVER. How do I prevent this? I do not want U1 to go to sleep, because when I play a paused song the N+ loses connectivity for a second or so while the U1 is waking up and the song resets to play from start and also the U1 do not have the song info on the DISPLAY, it is just blank, till the next song plays.

I’ll try to reproduce it but you mentioned your Nucleus+ losing connectivity - this should not be happening. This may be caused by something else.

For the brief moment when the U1 wakes up, on the ROON app, the track progress is lost and I see the option SELECT ZONE before the track progress marker shows up(should that be happening, is this called losing connectivity, I don’t know), but the song is reset to start; and the U1 only shows the track format, no other details.

See the screenshots below:-

1. current song status in the progress marker.
  2. Lumin U1 Status, the display is off after inactivity (not sure how many minutes before it switches off the display)
  3. I’m pressing the play button on my ROON APP. I will try to catch the moment when the SELECT ZONE ICON is displayed. (this is precisely when the display/U1 is waking up.
  4. The progress bar is RESET to START.
  5. Now when I press play, the U1 only shows the track format, no other details.

Have you seen this only after using GAIA?

I noticed this behaviour since day one(before GAIA), but it never troubled me. you just get to hear the track from the start… :slight_smile:

Whether it restarts from the beginning is up to Roon Core and not is controlled by the endpoint.

I’ve tried to reproduce this issue but is unsuccessful with Roon 1.8.

This is complicated by the fact that there is a Roon auto sleep setting, and Lumin app idle sleep setting, so there are four combination of these setting options.

It also relates to the Nucleus Plus connectivity.

If you still see this with the latest Roon update, please tell me your Roon auto sleep setting, and the Lumin app idle sleep setting.