Questions about Roon settings and behaviour

Hello all,
i am quiet new to roon and i hope you can help me out understand some settings and behaviours in roon. If there is already a thread to this this one could be moved there…

What is about the settings in System > memory amount for Artwork ? Does this use the ram space ? And has it anything to do with the dynamic background change when displaying ? Because i mentioned that on some albums it does change and some do not. Or is the dynamic change dependent on the metadata infos about artwork ?

And at last, what about the settings in Library > background audio analysis speed ? Since once done for the Library, does it still need to be set on higher level ? Or is it enough then to set the higher level in the following on-demand analysis speed ?

Thanks in advance…

When one’s music library is first imported into Roon, as would be the case for a new Roon installation, all of the tracks in the music library are analyzed, so a higher level will mean that analysis is completed faster. After that all new tracks added to one’s music library are analyzed as they are added. One would only need a higher level if there were a lot of new tracks added at one time otherwise a lower setting is just fine.

Good to know, while this reduces power consumption… thanks.

The memory settings is the max memory it will use to preload artwork on the remote device your using. Lower setting means it won’t load as many things upfront so when scrolling through a large library it will take more time for artwork to display. More ram then more it preloads. You find a setting that works for you remote well enough not to cause app instability and usability.

@CrystalGipsy Ahh ok… it affects only remote point… How do i have to understand then the requirements for roon ? Do they split off in order using two devices for core and remote ? Or do i still need for every device this minimum requirements ?

Not sure I understand what your asking, You need one PC running Roon Core, this can also act as a remote as well if Windows or PC. You can run the remote app on another PC, Tablet or phone. There is no minimum requirements for a remote accept operating system on Android is minimum 5, not sure what iOS.

Ok now i guess i understand right … the requirements are for a machine/core with full roon functionality, but u can increase or save the performance of the core if you use different devices for remote and output…

No that’s not it at all. Requirements are for the Roon Core as this does all the processing, remotes dont do anything at all other than act as a remote to control the core and endpoints. Nothing outside of this increases or saves performance. If you have a low spec core then you might struggle to use any of the more demanding DSP features, also large libraries would be slower to load up and manage. Higher end core will allow faster and often more demanding DSP functions and much bigger libraries and future proofs for potential new demanding feature. Endpoints (outputs) and remotes have no influence on the core performance itself you make those choices by using the options for multiroom and using DSP which are all done on the core itself.

Thanks for Explanation… i just try to understand all that best roon Setup thing since there are even in the users guide under the section tips and tricks i think the hints about rule 1 and rule 2 wich would be better for roon performance… hmmm…

Ahhh now I know what you are asking about. Those 2 rules are very valid yes but lots do not follow and very happy. It’s dependant on your system really.

:wink: right

By the way, how does this work when storage is separated from core ? The control device tells the core to play song xy -> the core ask/search the storage about that song over LAN (for example) -> stream the audio data to itself -> keep and prepare it for endpoint in the core ram -> send it to the endpoint over LAN … Is it that way ?

Sorry for the many questions :slight_smile: