RAAT Port Forwarding Using SSH

I know the question about using Roon while traveling or visiting a second home has been asked before, but I haven’t seen an option around using SSH port forwarding to achieve similar results (assuming an internet connection to the home location of course). Which port or ports does RAAT utilize to forward to a remote location?

What I understood so far is that the server finds RAAT through broadcast, so you may need some other means than port forwarding. I have another Roon server in my vacation home, and synchronize my music library trough linux rSync command with my main server. Synchronizing metadata is trickier than media itself. I can live without it.

That’s right. I remember reading previously about RAATs broadcast and that may mean SSH port forwarding wouldn’t work. Wouldn’t broadcasting still have to utilize an outbound port or ports however… what other method would there be to broadcast out to the local network, proprietary or something else?

I was trying to route UPnP through a VPN connection between two homes. That is supposed to be more documented than RAAT protocol, still no luck.

P.S. I assume Roon uses Ethernet broadcast, and not IP Multicast which may involve ports.

re: your metadata problem, isn’t that something you could solve by syncing your backup folder from the “master” to the “2nd home” device, either as a folder in your library (say, roonbackups), if you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to have to run two rsync commands, or as something outside of your library, then load that whenever you arrive at your 2nd home ?

I like to be able to rSync the metadata as well. Do you know where it is exactly located? I can restore backup, but that is a lot of work.

If I’m not mistaken, it should be /var/roon/RoonServer/Database (or a variant thereof, depending on your system). Tread with caution, obviously…

Rsyncing is no problem – I used to do it nightly (before Roon’s backup option was added).

Make sure though that Roon Server is stopped on the machine that’s being backed up (and also on the machine you’re rsyncing to) – otherwise you’ll find yourself with a corrupt database sooner or later. I used to run a cron job stopping RS, running the sync and restarting RS.