Radio algorithm after full album play seems narrow

Ah, but which birthday?

4 Likes

While I too have experienced Radio’s overly-narrow focus on a handful of artists and would love to see that addressed, I am in fact more irked by its ‘tone deaf’ selections within the Classical genre, blithely following, say, a Baroque recorder trio with Mahlerian orchestral sturm und drang. The fix would seem straightforward: limit the choices to the current Classical sub-genre, irrespective of whether the playback of the original item was initiated from the sub-genre, or from the catch-all Classical umbrella genre.

1 Like

Someone at Roon Labs is obsessed with David Bowie. How do I know? Simple! Anytime I’m listening to rock oriented music and radio kicks in after my album is over the first track to play is ALWAYS David Bowie.

Am I the only one who’s noticed this or is it just me OR did I set the Always Bowie toggle in preferences somewhere?

Adam

1 Like

Do you have a lot of Bowie in your collection… I often get Lana Del Ray which I’m not a huge fan of. I think there was talk of the radio function being redesigned at some point.
Cheers
Tom

1 Like

For me it’s Steely Dan most of the time :slight_smile:
I miss the SmartMix integration in LMS

1 Like

Hehe! For me it’s always The Moody Blues after playing an album of Genesis! :slight_smile: And i have lots of other progressive/symphonic music from the various era’s.
Seems Roon is pretty specific in its taste for radio material!

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I moved your post and the replies to this thread.

See Mike’s post from May 18 above.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

[quote=“AE67, post:45, topic:1840”]
I miss the SmartMix integration in LMS
[/quote]I think most LMS users miss it too - echonest is now exclusively Spotify.

1 Like

Plus +1 for Radio overhaul. The concept is great but execution is flawed and I think many of us are anxious to see major revisions here - esp with how tracks are added. Like others, I see the same 9-10 albums coming up when I have 1000 to choose from. [Playing Radio for a collection of Classical genres]

1 Like

Hi

reviving this thread, as I’m finding the Radio selections pretty limiting, playing many tracks from only a few albums. Had this been addressed in 1.3? If so, it’s still not very good :frowning:

I can’t locate the link just now but Mike did say that Roon were very aware of the issue but it would be best fixed after the changes done in 1.3 as some of these changes will allow a much better radio algorithm to be created.

So no, there is no change in 1.3, buy hey 1.33 may be Nirvana.

.sjb

great thank John. That’s fine. It’s nice to know it’s on the cards :slight_smile: - good to give these things a little prod now and again too.

Yeah, I just had to break out of a Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood do loop…(talk about first world problems :slight_smile: )

Harsh stuff indeed! I had a similar problem with Yes, Supertramp and Genesis earlier, life is tough!!

It could at least have evolved into a Cream set.

Now that would be cool… to have an algorithm which slowly evolves the music over time into other bands and genres as the radio plays on indefinitely, moving from Prog Rock>Prog Metal>>Heavy Metal>Heavy Rock>Blues-Rock>Electric-Blues>Jazz Blues>Jazz>Fusion>Crossover Jazz>Post Bop>Avant Garde>Experimental, and so on… Wow… food for thought…even a v simple system could be well implemented, if user defined, still would be cool, define the genres, sub genres and how many tracks to play of each b4 moving on to the next.

All very exciting, the possibilities.

1 Like

that kind of stream of consciousness is kind of how I listen anyway - that’s why a playlist wouldn’t be much good to me twice…

1 Like

Yes - can confirm Roon is aware and working on both the Radio and Shuffle All function. Please see for more detail:

Fantastic!!

That’s good news. After living with Roon for a couple of months and promoting it heavily to my friends, I think the weakest link in the critical function areas are the shuffle/random play and radio play features.

For example, I have tagged 50 artists that is about 45% mellow classic rock, 35% reasonably mellow jazz (including 20+ Coltrane albums and a lot of other jazz), and 20% misc mellow music, including Mel Torme and Bob
Marley, to give you a feel. I played radio based on that tag. Radio has done a passable job shuffling about 8 classic rock artists over and over again. But absolutely not one song outside of the classic rock genre. Not ONE jazz song, nor any of the reggae, vocal, or other artists in the tag or anything similar.

Radio is very narrow minded. I once tried to play radio from a progressive jazz and rock tag and it insisted on starting every attempt at play (tried 20+ times) with a SANTANA song. Sure there is some jazzy Santana but that just wasn’t close.

Shuffle within a tag is definitely much better - it does scoot around more and deeper into artists. But it still doesn’t seem to dig in as deep as it could, or maybe a better way to look at it is that it becomes predicable - I can often now predict the bands that will be in the first 5 upon shuffling a tag. But it’s somewhat better.

I would absolutely LOVE more intelligent play and shuffle options. I would LOVE to be able to have Roon dip into Tidal for shuffle or radio play. But at the least, I think some quick fixes ought to be a high priority update to 1.3 because Roon becomes tough to listen to when it’s predictable.

+1 on the Radio function being useless. Just look at the songs in my library and feed up selections based on that would be a great improvement. Add in being able to read my track ratings and filter accordingly and I would be golden and lifetime subscriber…