RADIO consider Streaming & Local music

Hey, big fan of the radio function but when I start with a local track sitting on my computer the next song is always a song coming from a streaming provider. In fact all the remaining songs are streaming provider songs. Isn’t this a bit stupid, shouldn’t Roon consider my whole library and not only streaming provider tracks? Maybe a bug? @support

Thanks

Jan,

It could be a bug or at least an oversight as I’ve see some posts where it’s been said that Radio was choosing a lower quality streaming track as opposed to a higher quality track from another streaming provider.

However, while I don’t know big your local library is, how long you listened to Roon’s Radio or if you are using Tidal and / or Qobuz given that both Tidal and Qobuz are reported to have over 40 million tracks I would think you might need to listen for a long time to hear something from your local library.

And given that the new Roon Radio requires a streaming service to work it may be that it intentionally prefers streaming tracks over tracks from your local library.

You can always choose to limit Roon Radio to your local library but then you don’t get the latest algorithm and no discovery of anything not in your library.

Finally, it’s worth noting that the new Roon Radio has not been available for that long but now that its getting used every day by lots of users it’s likely that improvements / fixes will be forthcoming.

Tim

Thanks Tim - where I can change this:
You can always choose to limit Roon Radio to your local library but then you don’t get the latest algorithm and no discovery of anything not in your library.

It’s not a bug. In general, Roon has information about lots more tracks than you have in your local library, and their machine-learning model will typically place many of those non-local tracks closer to your seed track than any of your local tracks. You can restrict Radio to your local library (“Limit Roon Radio to Library” option from the … pulldown menu on your queue), but then it uses a less capable algorithm than the one that can take advantage of all the learned knowledge Roon has about the larger universe of tracks.

It only takes three mouse clicks …

1. Click on Queue on the Now Playing ribbon

Radio%20Queue

1. Click on the Three Dots menu at the top right

Radio%20Three%20Dots

1. Select Limit Roon Radio to Library from the menu

Radio%20Limit

I don’t use this feature since I’m happy with Roon Radio picking tracks from Tidal so I’m not sure if the setting will persist from one listening session to another. I know some settings do persist but others don’t. If it doesn’t persist it’s not that difficult to turn it back on.

Tim

1 Like

GREAT Thanks so much