Radio getting less random over time

When I first started using Roon, I was really pleased with the way it played things I hadn’t heard in a long time, Over time, specifically the last couple days, it seems like it randomly plays itself into the same corner of my library, no matter what I start the Radio mode with.

I’ve read that radio/random play considers previously played tracks, but I’ve got a feeling it might be too considerate.

Is it my imagination, or do all 32,000 of my local tracks lead back to my 90s punk collection? :slight_smile:

Alas Steve this seems to happen to most of us and is well reported here.

I think work is being done on this for the next version but it would be nice to have this confirmed.

SJB

1 Like

I agree with Steve. I’m new to Roon. I’m a few days into the free trial. At first I thought that Roon was marvelous. I listen to a lot of classical music, and I was delighted to find that Roon treats the movements of a symphony as part of a single work rather than individual “songs”. I also liked the way that in Radio mode, Roon would find music in my collection that I haven’t heard in a long time, or that I’d forgotten that I owned. But then I realized that I was hearing the Credo by Penderecki for the third time in two days. When I’m listening to popular music, especially something that’s new to me, I’m more willing to hear a good song once or twice a day. But with classical music, once I’ve heard a piece, I want it to go to the “back of the line” so that I don’t hear it again for a long time. I’m afraid that Rune is bumping the usage counter for pieces like the Penderecki Credo, and playing it often because it’s a “frequently played” work. But it was Roon that decided to play it, not me.

Frankly, this issue makes Roon considerably less attractive to me than I originally thought. I’m not sure that I will buy it when the free trial expires. I hope that the Roon development team is working on this.