Radio Paradise playback issue

Yup, experience the same with Radio Paradise FLAC streams. From Roon. However, when I use internet radio in dCS’s Mosaic app no such trouble… so it can be done.

The RP streams are different. The metadata ones (/flacm) are officially “experimental” and may give problems. The others should be OK

It happens more with FLAC streams, yes - but other ones (AAC, MP3) are by no means immune from this behaviour…

Hi @Paul_Bemelmans,

Do you experience this issue with any other stations?

Not 100% sure of others apart from Radio Paradise and JB Radio-2.

Hi @Paul_Bemelmans,

You mentioned this happens with the non-FLAC streams as well — The next time this happens with a non-FLAC stream would you kindly make a note of the time it occurs as well as the time station that was playing and we’ll take a look?

Thanks!

OK I will. This morning I tried the mellow mix flacm stream just for kicks (I usually use the AAC 320 stream by default these days) but it was unlistenable; dropouts galore…

Alright, I just had Radio Paradise (mellow mix) cut out on me again. AAC stream (320 kbps), at 10:26 CEST (8:26 UTC).

Hello @Paul_Bemelmans,
Just for info, RP have recently improved their metadata flac streams, they are looking reliable now.

I’ll give that a go, then. Are they sending metadata? Don’t see any…

Make sure you click on the 8022/s/flacm streams. The straight flacm ones can take a while to connect and Roon often skips on to the flac (not flacm) one instead.

Roon knows about this.

I get frequent skips, hiccups and dropouts on the 8022/s/flacm streams, and still no metadata (Roon just reports “Unknown”). So, not much of an improvement so far…

Something not right. I just VPN’d to the Netherlands (that’s where you are, yes?) and tested RP’s metadata. I see

That’s what the metadata streams are carrying.

What do you see if you type the same url?

I think we need to wait for @dylan

Yup, NL (Enschede, Ziggo). I was indeed HEARING KGB - Call It A Night, but SEEING “Unknown” in the Roon Client on my iPad.
Stream was FLAC 441000kHz 16bit http://stream.radioparadise.com:8022/s/mellow-flacm

How did you display the metadata stream, on port 8023?

Just type
https://stream.radioparadise.com:8023/health
Into your browser

Well, I got this:

{
"mounts": {
    "/flac": {
        "format": {
            "content_type": "application/ogg"
        },
        "listener_count": 2,
        "metadata": {
            "now_playing": "Patty Griffin - Highway Song"
        }
    },
    "/mellow-flac": {
        },
        "listener_count": 1,
            "now_playing": "Unknown"
        }
    },
    "/rock-flac": {
        },
        "listener_count": 0,
        }
    },
    "/world-etc-flac": {
        },
        "listener_count": 0,
        }
    }
},
"total_listener_count": 2,
"total_source_count": 4

}

Ok, good, that’s fine.
I just VPN’d over again, and seeing similar. It’s just that the RP doesn’t always have the metadata and sends “unknown”.
The fact that you are seeing “unknown” indicates the metadata is in the stream - even if its not particularly useful!

Back to the glitches, let’s wait for Dylan.

Yeah would be nice with the metadata. But more importantly, this 8022 stream is unlistenable, and moreover just cut out again. (And the metadata reported 0 listeners after that.) Can restart, but still includes skips, hiccups and whatnot. The plain flac (and flacm, likely the same) at least doesn’t skip or have hiccups, but stops for no reason sometimes also. Just like the AAC stream did this morning - though that one is more reliable.

Note that my ROCK NUC is on wired, 1gb Ethernet. Just sayin…

No help to you, sorry, but all ok here.

Ok, I’ve found the IP address of your local RP server in the Netherlands and used that in VLC.
http://93.190.141.46:8022/p/mellow-flacm
Hey Presto! Drop outs.

I’m afraid it’s an RP problem.
Furthermore, metadata not as good as UK.

Cc @dylan