Radio station drops out after 10 minutes

Hello @Juergen_Dix ,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue has resolved itself. There have been no changes on our end as far as I am aware, it is possible that the issue is related to your network area usage, if your ISP has many clients online in the same area, there can be bandwidth issues.

I would also suggest you change your DNS servers on the router to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS if you have not done so yet. Do let us know if you see the issue again after the DNS change and we can take another look, thanks!

2 Likes

Hello there,

unfortunately, the problem remains. I am now using Cloudflare DNS, but it is still the same. This morning, it went only for 3-5 minutes then dropped out.

I do not see any patterns sofar (morning, afternoon, evening). It sometimes worked for 5 hours (before using Cloudflare) but then again it dropped out every few minutes /I also restart roon each day, just to be safe).

Maybe you can have a look at the log data and notice something?

Best

JĆ¼rgen

1 Like

Following this thread with interest! I have a similar problem streaming a Belgian radio station (Radio 2 Oost Vlaanderen) to a Bluesound Node 2i. Streaming stops after a while (sometimes after 30 min, sometimes after more than one hour). Tested the various stream formats, and connections of the Bluesound both over Wifi and Ethernet over Powerline.

Happy to see that I am not alone!!!

Yesterday almost every 5 minutes I had a dropout.

Today I had 6 dropouts in 4 hours (morning).
Other stations are fine.

J

Hi @Juergen_Dix ,

Certainly. Can you please provide some details regarding your network setup (model/manufacturer of networking gear and how the Nucleus is connected) and then reproduce the issue, let us know the exact local time + date of the issue, and upload a set of logs here? You can access logs by using these instructions.

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Thanks!

Iā€™ll do. Didnā€™t now that I can access the logs myself.
I run a Prime mini (as roon core). I use a Vega G2 (roon endpoint) as Streamer via Ethernet, not USB from Prime mini
and then feed into an autoformer and then into a Jadis DA.

I noticed that some stations are ok, but some are not Nostalgie (a french station)
also drops out.

Let me mention again: it worked fine for about 2 years. Then, suddenly, I am having these problems.

J

Ok, I stop now. Here are the dropouts of this morning.
Nov. 10th NDR Kultur MP3

GMT + 1

Started 7:41
Dropout: 8:09 8:27 8:28 8:50 8:51 9:07
Between 9:15 and 9:24 (missed the exact time)
9:31 9:41 9:54 10:08 10:14
Between 10:22 and 10:30 (missed the exact time)
10:40 11:06 11:13 11:18 11:24 11:49

I always restarted then via my Iphone.

Iā€™ll dig out the logs and upload them.

Best

JĆ¼rgen

Ok, logs.zip uploaded. Good luck!

j

Here are the dropout from today, Nov. 11th

Nov 11th

GMT+1

Started 7:48

7:58 8;04 8:26 8:36 8:53 9:20 9:28

Between 9:30 and 9:40

10:00 10:03 10:06

Between 10:30 - 10:37

10:57 11:06 11:14 11:18 11:43 11:51

Iā€™ll also upload the log files from today.

Best

J

Hello @Juergen_Dix ,

Thank you for letting me know those timestamps and for submitting the logs.

I have reviewed the logs, and they do contain the dropouts you mentioned, but there is unfortunately not much information associated with the dropouts.

I do, however, see that all the dropouts are on the Auralic Vega G2 you have. Can you please confirm if you try to play to another zone (such as your Nucleus HDMI zone), does this zone also stop playback of the radio station when the issue occurs on the Vega?

I have also tried to play NDR Kultur Belcanto MP3 station on my end for 1 hour and have not experienced any dropout issues, for what itā€™s worth.

Hi,

well gthe reason that it is all on Vega G2 is that I was trying Vega G2 because I had the dropouts before (by using Zenith Innuos 2 as endpoint and then feeding Aqua La Voce). I am now back to this setting and I still have the dropouts.
Today only a few, but that might be the case because it is a different day in the week.

Those HDMI zones that you mentioned (they show under settings and Audio): I have no idea what they are. I have bnever used the HDMI port, never.
How can I get rid of them??

I can check again and snd you the logs and turn Vega G2 off completely.

Best

JĆ¼rgen

I also have an Aries G2 in another room that I am using as endpoint.
Would you like me to run the station on both and check for dropouts?

J

One more thing: NDR Kultur Belcanto is a completely different station, it is not NDR Kultur!!!

J

Hello Noris,

today I started 4 zones (Zenith Innuos, Vega G2, Aries G2, iPad mini: all as different endpoints). I started at 7:34 and, what shall I say, it is still going.
I only got a dropout between 9:45 and 9:55 on the iPad mini
(at that time I left the house with my iPhone (which I used as a remote)).
The other 3 zones still played. At 12:22 I stopped the Vega G2 endpoint
to see whether it still goes on.

In two hours I stopp the Aries G2 to get my usual morning set up (just Zenith Innuos with Aqua La Voce) to see wheteher it is still working.

I am sending the logs later today, maybe you can detect why the Ipad mini zone dropped out.

Best

JĆ¼rgen

Ok, here my summary for today. Iā€™ll upload the log files soon.

Started 7:34 playing to all 4 zones (iPad mini, Zenith Innuos, Aries G2, Vega G2)

Dropout between 9:45 and 9:55 on iPad mini. All other zones are perfect.

At 12:22 I stopped Vega G2 endpoint to see whether it still goes on. So only Zenith Innuos and Aries G2.

Dropout at around 13:30!!! on Zenith, Aries still going.

Restarted Zenith at 13;38

At around 13:40 Aries G 2 stopped!!

Restarted at 13:46

Everything works fine.

I stop Aries G2 at 16:37, only Zenith Innuos running (my usual set-up).

Dropout must have occurred at 18:00

So: much, much better (only 2 dropouts) when 4 zones are running.

But still incomprehensible. Tomorrow I am staring with my usual zone, when the first dropout occurs, Iā€™ll also activate the other zones.

Best

J

1 Like

Hi @Juergen_Dix ,

Thanks for uploading the logs and for your patience here while weā€™ve had a chance to look over them.

Looking at the log, it appears that the majority of the dropouts occurred on the Aqua USB zone. When these dropouts occur, it looks like the Core disconnects from our servers at the same time.

I wonder if this could be a networking issue, where there are issues with some packets being lost causing the buffers to not fill up enough and then the stream stopping once itā€™s run out of buffers.

Do you have any network monitoring tools on the router? Does it report any issues with maintaining a stable connection?

Hi Noris,

in the meantime I did several experiments. The funny thing is that with 2 zones it works perfectly, with one I am getting dropouts.

Your analysis seems to be right: let me explain.

I am going from the router with a loooong cable (8 metres) to my SOtM switch. From there to the prime mini and the other roon endpoints. Now when I remove my switch and all other endpoints, using the USB
of the prime to go into the Aqua La Voce DAC (and putting the looong cable directly into the Prime mini)ā€”
then I do not have any dropouts anymore!!!

But when these are really networking issues, why do the dropouts not occur when I am listening to music from my local servers? It is only with the radio station (and networking with DSD 512 works perfectly).

Best

JĆ¼rgen

Hi @Juergen_Dix ,

This sounds like the switch might be causing the issue, or at least is invovled somehow.

The issue here is maintaining a stable network connection to the external network (the radio station server). The internal network can work fine, but if there are network fluctuations when using the switch, then the external radio station would not be able to be buffered properly.