Catalina 10.15.7, i7 4770K, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

UniFi Dream Machine Pro, UniFi switches, everything wired, no VPN for Roon

Connected Audio Devices

Meridian endpoints (MS200s, 251, 218)

Number of Tracks in Library

55,000 tracks

Description of Issue

WCBS 880 radio streams are quitting after a second or two (AAC and MP3), have been over in the Live Radio board and another user was not able to replicate the problem, so it seems to be something that is local to my setup. I can’t find another radio stream that does the same thing, everything else is working fine.

Hey @femanburch,

Thanks for writing in! I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you were still running into issues with audio playback from live radio?

If so, can you please recreate the issue and share the specific date and time of when the issue occurs? We’ll be able to take a closer look into what might be going on. :+1:

If you haven’t yet, I would also start with a hard reboot of both your router and core device.

Hi @Benjamin. Still having the same problem with this one station, just now and any time I try it, other stations are fine. Actually put in a new router after the problem started (UniFi Dream Machine), and machine running Roon core has been restarted multiple times.

Hey @femanburch,

Thanks for the follow-up! To confirm, is your core device running on a Mac device running Catalina? I see that you mention ‘Hackintosh’ on your community profile. If this is indeed still your core device, can you provide further information about it?

Please, if you haven’t yet, hardwire your core directly to your router, bypassing any network gear in between. Reboot your core and router, and let me know if your issue persists. :+1:

Does this issue happen when streaming audio to the system output of your core device? I would test out different endpoints to confirm if the issue persists.

I am also seeing a Macbook Air being used as a core device from your account info. If you could please recreate the issue and use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader, that would be helpful.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :pray:

Hi @benjamin.

Core machine info below. It is a hackintosh, Haswell i7, more info here. The only thing it is doing is running Roon.
mac info

The Core is plugged directly into the Dream Machine Pro and is showing a 1 gig connection:

I just rebooted the Core machine and restarted the router. The Core machine does not have an audio output, when I enable System Output and play to that I can’t get anything to start. When I selected a KEF LSX endpoint it seemed like it played for more than a couple of seconds, but then I stopped the stream and now it only goes for a second or two with this radio station (all other radio stations, Tidal, and local music are fine). Same with all Meridian endpoints, and same with System Output enabled on my desktop.

My wife has a MacBook Air that she uses with the app, but she connects to the Core (Marshalls-iMac-2). Maybe I accidentally downloaded/ran the server on it once? I don’t see a MacBook Air core anywhere in our setup.

I stopped the Core, zipped the log files, and uploaded at your link, femanburch.zip.

Hi @femanburch,

Thank you for confirming this. Your core machine falls out of the scope of our support, are you able to test this issue on another temporary core device? Does the Macbook Air run into the same issue?

We’ll take a look at the logs you’ve sent over to see if there is anything telling, but may not be able to provide much help outside of this.

In the meantime, can you please remove the radio station from your library, and re-add it to see if your issue persists?

Thanks @benajmin.

Unrelated, how do you compose a reply that includes snippets of the post you are replying to?

@BrianW has the same problem I have with this station with the .m3u8 stream (the other streams he has to use VPN and so not Roon, I think). So if it is a hardware thing it is not only my hardware.

On a temporary core, I guess I can try to do that (shut down the existing core, figure out how to set up a new one, not sure if that will require moving license, etc.). But now I am realizing that I am running Core using the Roon application and not Roon Server, and given that the Core is on a dedicated machine in an equipment rack and is not an endpoint I guess it should really be running Roon Server and not Roon? To do this maybe I follow the instructions here, even though the “new” Core is going to sit on the same computer?

Hardware I am using for Roon Core is also getting a little old. Haswell i7 probably has enough horsepower, but 4TB mechanical (WD Black) has been powered on for almost 6 years, so probably a failure waiting to happen. I could put ROCK on a NUC i5-5250 I am using for Roon Bridge for multichannel, or get a new more highly configured NUC, or maybe a base configuration M2 Mac Mini, for those might like to run Core and also Remote for the multichannel.

Deleting and re-adding to the library does not fix the problem.

Hello @benjamin , I can reproduce with my Rock.

You have @femanburch 's logs, but if you want any of mine, let me know.

Hi @BrianW,

Yes, if you could reproduce the issue a few times and share the specific date and time in which the issue occurs, and share that information here, that would be helpful. :+1:

In this case, if you open your Macbook Air like you were using it as a remote, and head into Roon Settings>About you will be able to disconnect from your current core, and setup your Macbook Air as a temporary core. You’ll need to re-add the troublesome radio station, as it will load a fresh database once you swap your core. No need to restore a database in this case since we’re just testing things.

Let me know how things go!

Sent you a PM

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.