Random distortion blips

I am getting random, very brief, distortion blips while playing Tidal or Qobuz through Roon. If I play the same track(s), same service using the Bluesound app they play fine. no distortion. Just started today.

@support

Signal is likely clipping.

Do you have any headroom applied or other DSP enabled?

-3 is a good starting point for headroom.

1 Like

No DSP applied. Just a sample rate conversion for 88.2 to 96. I tried adding headroom but no change. No clipping light when it happens either.

What is your Roon path?

Core on dedicated machine?

ROCK distro runs great on a 2013 Dell small form factor old ass machine.

1 Like

ROCK on a dedicated NUC. Been using Roon for a few years. Never had this issue

Does the NUC have music stored/connected locally or via network storage? SSD in NUC?

Is the NUC using USB or Ethernet or other like I2S or AES-EBU connected to DAC?

Try another cable, or Ethernet switch. Reboot DAC network interface.

1 Like

Stored music is on NAS. NUC runs off a SSD with only ROCK on it

NUC is connected via ethernet. No DAC attached

The NUC is connected to my switch right now. I will try connecting it directly to the router and see how that goes. Maybe the switch is getting overworked. I have been ripping discs to my NAS which is also on the switch.

Going to try moving the NUC and/or NAS directly to the router.

Not doing anything I have not done before and have not had this issue

Hi @Brian6751,

What kind of Bluesound zone are you trying to stream to, what is the model?
Can you please provide a screenshot of your Signal Path when this issue occurs?
Do you have the same issue via Airplay to that BluOS zone (from within Roon)?

@noris

It happens on my NAD M10 and a Powernode 2. LAN and Airplay

@noris

Moved ROCK core from network switch directly to router. Issue remains. No issues when using Bluesound app

@noris

First Roon Radio genres not working for 6 weeks, now this. I have not been able to enjoy using Roon for a long time.

Hi @Brian6751,

Thanks for those screenshots. It looks like you have some DSP turned on, can you please confirm if the behavior is the same on the M10 with Equalizer turned off?

Do you have another PC you can try to temporarily use as the Core? I would be interested in knowing if other Cores also display same issue to these zones.

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

@noris

The DSP is Dirac. Same issue with it off. Same issue on the Powernode2 that does not have Dirac.

I do not have a functioning PC to use as a Core at this time

Hi @Brian6751,

Can you please try to factory reset the affected devices and let me know if that helps?

@noris

I tried that already. No dice

@noris

Switched Roon core to server on Windows 10 PC. Issue remains. I also updated firmware on router. no change

@noris

I was just listening to my setup in the garage that uses a Allo Boss DAC over WiFi and I did not notice the issue with that setup.

wondering if maybe this is a issue with Roon and Bluesound devices.

Hi @Brian6751,

Have you by any chance reached out to Bluesound regarding this issue yet?

Did anything change on September 6th with regard to your system? Did you make any network changes for the BlueOS devices or install firmware updates?

@noris

I had not asked NAD/Bluesound because it only happens when using Roon. I just sent a ticket in.

I added the Powernode2 and a Synology NAS on the 6th. I tried disconnectong the Powernode2 from the network already. Same issue.

1 Like