Random Power Shutdowns: NUC RoonOS

Random Power Shutdowns:

NUC7i5BNH 16MB RAM 256GB Intel PCIe NVMe 500GB SSD

RoonOS 1.0 (build 159). Local 500GB SSD hold the music library.

After buying Roon Lifetime the following now happens - Roon randomly shuts down (Trial version worked fine).

The following message appears just before shutdowns:

{ umount: can't unmount /roon/app: devices or resources busy

umount: can't unmount /roon/data: devices or resources busy

the system is going down now

Sent SIGTERM to all processes

mDMSResponder:mDMSResponder (Engineering build ) (Sept 21 2018 14:28:52) stopoing

Sent SIGKILL to all processes

Requesting system power off }

I have reinstalled RoonOS, changed the DIMMS and the 256GB PCIe.

Any help? Many thanks

Hi Derek,

I’ve shifted your post into the earlier new thread as they are about the same issue. Roon Support Staff will be responding shortly.

What chassis are you using? Is the Nuc hot when this happens? Could be a thermal issue. I would also suggest reseating the memory and the Ssd card

Hi Mr Fix it. Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did check this. The CPU core temp is 51 degrees C when running Roon (on a reboot when I quickly checked). I have read that below 80 degrees C is OK. I have re-seated the DIMM, M.2 abd SSD. Intel’s own NUC spec for environmental temp is 0C to 50C

I am new to Linux/RoonOS Core, so a little lost at utilities to use for fault finding and how to use them!.

Hi @EnjoyTheMusic,

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information. The next time this behavior occurs, please note the time it happens. Respond here with that timestamp and your timezone and I’ll enable diagnostics for the team to look at.

Hello Dylan and Mr fix it… Problem solved.

Poor NUC heat-sink contact = auto power downs.

I took the Fan / Heat sink off and applied new past.

Many thanks for your interest.

1 Like

hope you blew out the dust from the fan while you were at it. glad the issue is identified.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.