Random skipping and random stopping on Qobuz

I have been having EXACTLY the same problems with my Sonos system. It drives me crazy. It’s gotten to the point where I just don’t use Roon with Sonos and only use it with my full HiFi system. Makes the investment in Roon pretty questionable.

I’ve updated my router, my cable modem, and my cable plan. Network is very, very stable and has a very long reach, and has been adjusted in accordance with Roon guidelines for the specific mesh router system. Have tried removing all “older” generation Sonos products and updating to latest S2 app, and still having significant issues with Roon. Last Roon update seems to be even worse, but that could just be my own perception. And have tried wired with SonosNet and WiFi both, and it just doesn’t work as well as it did six months ago. Just seems to keep getting worse with each update.

Anyway, I feel your pain!! Best of luck and hope Roon conversation with your BlueOs manufacturer resolves your issues.

Hi @FastHound,

I noticed you left a comment in another thread that the issue was back, so I have re-opened your previous thread.

Does the HDMI on the Nucleus still work as expected? Local files are having the issues as well or just Qobuz?

Hey Noris. Thanks for reaching out. I’ve done some more testing and LOTS of investigating on various forums, and I think my issue at this point might not be a Roon/Sonos issue. I installed an Orbi AX6000 mesh system, and it would appear that I have issues even with the Sonos app, not only when playing through Roon. Working on trying some different options suggested on the Orbi/Sonos forums, but it really might be almost entirely related to the router and Sonos, with Roon simply suffering due to Sonos/router drop out issues. A bit unclear right now until I try a few things. Will reach back out to you after I’ve tried some work arounds. Thanks. Happy 4th.

1 Like

Thanks for the update here @FastHound! If there are issues in the native Sonos app, they would also be visible in the Roon app, so I would suggest you try to resolve the general issues first. Since you have Orbi, I would also make sure to disable IGMP Proxying as per our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

Do let us know how it goes!

Yes, I immediately had made the recommended setting change to IGMP to no avail. I made a few other changes based on recommendations on other forums, and in the end, had the same problems. So, I decided to disassociate/un-group everything and then slowly add rooms back in. What I found is that Sonos seems to prefer only three rooms in a group (at least in my system). So as long as I limit groups to that size, everything works fine. Very strange, but it’s an acceptable work around from my perspective, so I think we’re good at this point. Tried running SonosNet vs WiFi again, but that didn’t solve anything, so back to WiFi and three rooms to a group. All good. Thanks!

1 Like

You might also want to keep an eye on the Signal Path when you have multiple rooms streaming at the same time. It is possible that the DSP you have active is too taxing, I’d make sure the processing speed is over 1.2x or so.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I don’t use any DSP. All I’m doing is coming out of the nucleus+ either with Roon Radio, Qobuz, or my library straight to the router to Sonos. No volume control/leveling, no nothing. Should be a piece of cake for the Nucleus+.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @FastHound. If you run into any other issues, do let us know and we can take a look.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.