Random stopping

@noris. Looks like the picture I sent shows the NUC Core since that is what I was playing when I took the picture of the mac’s ‘about page. I will upload the logs (from the Mac) in the morning and send you the link on google drive.

Unless you have other thoughts, I’m going to to try a modem/cable combo unit I borrowed from my ISP as the next test.

Thanks again for your assistance - Dan

1 Like

@noris Yesterday I installed a new modem/router. Music played for about 8 hours. Stopped around 11:30pm EST Aug 13. I started it this morning and it stopped again at 6:45 am Aug 14. I sent you a link to another set of logs that should show these two incidents. Please let me know what you see.

At this point I am out of bullets. Before I left this morning I shut ROON down and started playing directly from Tidal on the mac. I haven’t used it in a while so I don’t know if the ‘artist radios’ play on and on - but I started one. The only other thought is the actual internet service. I have 500 mbps service and have been getting that or higher so it seems like that shouldn’t be the problem, but I’m running out of ideas here.

Please let me know what the logs indicate.

Thanks

Dan

Almost.
Have you tried using Roon stand alone on a machine, with all music on local drives and not using Tidal, and just outputting to that PCs speakers. Heck, you could unplug it from the network as well. If that plays perfectly, then, as you add things back into the mix one at a time, you might be able to find out where the issue starts.

@noris @Rugby - after the current test of no ROON - just Tidal on the mac I will try playing music on just the mac with ROON Core - no NAS no Tidal.

However, I would like some feedback on the logs that have been sent after each of the previous tests. Or direct me to a glossary of terms so I can try and interpret them - there must be some clues there.

Thanks to both of you for assisting me.

Hey @DJD,

Thanks for sending those new logs over.

There is no glossary because end-users are not meant to interpret logs, just Roon staff. I am looking through the logs you sent now and will try to explain to you what I see going on at the timestamps you noted.

I see the stoppage, and to me it looks like the entire network went down. Access to the NUC endpoint and to our accounts servers were cut off approximately at the same time, so either the Core temporarily lost network access or the router did.

I was unable to locate this attempt.

Before I was even able to locate these two attempts I noticed something interesting in your new logs. You are getting Name Resolution Failures and I don’t recall seeing this previously. These kinds of errors indicate that Roon is unable to resolve a hostname of a website to an actual IP address, and it can be corrected by changing the DNS servers in your router to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS.

It looks like Roon reached the end of the queue here.

I am seeing TIDAL account error at that timestamp. I can’t say for sure if there was a temporary TIDAL outage or not or if the Core lost contact with TIDAL’s web servers.

I would do two things here:

1. Update the DNS servers as suggested above, this will help just in case your ISP’s DNS servers are not always stable.

2. Try running Roon in offline mode with a long playlist as @Rugby noted. If things are stable this way, then you can add things back in one by one until you find when the issue starts.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks @noris I know you folks are busy, so I appreciate the response. A couple things.
Yesterday I installed a new modem/router - could that explain the previously unseen Name Resolution Failures?
I’ll look into different DNS servers - would this change static and reserved addresses?
In terms of the stop at 11:30pm Aug 13 - it was playing on ROON Radio - not a queue - Radio should go on and on correct?

Thanks again

Noris,

An bit of an update. I haven’t changed my DNS Servers - but have been reviewing the options.

As I said earlier, I started the Mac this morning just playing from Tidal to System Output - no main system - no ROON. It continues as I write this.

When I came home this afternoon, I fired up ROON on the main system - NUC Server (with ROON Core on it) playing to the NUC Endpoint then to the Devialet. I could only pull music from the NAS since Tidal was enabled on the Mac. Roon played for 4 hours or so then stopped. The Mac and Tidal continues on. Does this tell us anything?

Dan

EDIT - seems like in yesterday’s stoppage ROON Radio was not engaged - even though I never disable it - so maybe a one-off event?

Hi @DJD,

Not necessarily, Roon and TIDAL use different buffering strategies. The correct test here would be to use Roon + System Output on the Mac and see if that works as expected with no network connection.

Then, add one variable, the NAS, and verify if things are still stable. Then add the Devialet as the endpoint and see if things are still stable. Finally add TIDAL to the mix as the last step.

At one point things are going to stop, but this kind of test would be needed to see where exactly things are breaking.

Thanks for confirming, it sounds like a one-off event yes.

Thanks - I will do that test next. But, if Tidal plays on and on on the Mac (and I’m not saying it will), doesn’t that tell me that ROON is a problem?

EDIT - no need to respond. Tidal stopped sometime this morning after playing for approximately 28 hours - on to the next test…

Speaking of the next test - I have disabled Tidal on the Mac, pulled the Ethernet, shut off WiFi, and put one song on repeat. Does that make sense?

Hi @DJD,

Looks like there are issues when downloading TIDAL content it seems.

Close, but not quite. I would use a playlist that contains a variety of sample rates/formats and leave that in shuffle mode. I would expect this test to work without issue since it seems like the behavior is networking related.

After this test, you can go ahead and add the NAS to the equation + System output, which relies on the router but does not rely on the external network access (and streaming TIDAL content).

If there are stoppages with this test, you can focus on the router further.

I’m under way with this test as you describe - although I don’t have hi res to add to the mix. Recognizing that I haven’t completed this test, do you have a sense that this ‘may’ be a network issue? I’ve been at this for a while and am considering getting a new ISP and am game to do that, but want to have a sense that this may likely be the problem.

Also, I am game to change the DNS servers - if I do that now, does that screw up the ‘testing’? Seems not to me but thought I would ask your thoughts…

Hi @DJD,

You can feel free to change the DNS servers, it might help. The testing we were trying was to rule out each segment piece by piece, but I do suspect that this is due to the connection of the Core to the external network (via your ISP). Hopefully the DNS changes yields the proper results and resolves this issue.

Ok - Thanks

Edit - so the Mac with local ROON plays on. I have changed the DNS servers and am listening to Tidal on the main system. I intend to let the Mac/ROON go for 3 days (72 hours±). After that, armed with the new DNS servers I may, given my impatience, try the preferred system and see what happens.

Will keep you posted

@noris Well, the Core on the Mac plays away. As of this afternoon it will be over 72 hours. So I am prepared to move on to adding the NAS back in. I assume I will simply hook the Mac back to the network, keeping Tidal disabled. Is it worth first playing to a queue of albums before moving on to engaging ROON Radio?

Thanks

Hi @DJD,

It sounds like there’s been some good progress with the DNS servers changes. Sure, you can try the NAS Core again with Roon Radio and/or TIDAL streaming to see how things are holding up. You can reverse the tests, try Roon Radio/TIDAL first and see if that’s stable and then if not try the local content. Although I do suspect there will be some sort of improvement with the DNS changes.