Randomly hidden albums (not by me)

I’ve been noticing some weirdness for a while now, and I think I know what is going on. I just don’t know how to fix without going one by one or why it happened to begin with. I’m running Roon core off a QNAP, no issues there, it has been stable. Lately when I go to some random artist pages (Moby in this example) I do not see most of the albums I expect to see; sometimes a couple random ones show up, sometimes no main albums but some EP’s, etc.

In this example, looking at Moby shows this for the main albums (show hidden is on):

Just picking one album from the below list, you see it does not exist:

Searching in Roon for Everything Is Wrong:

Show Hidden Tracks and Albums is on (never hidden an album manually):

If I select Unhide Album:

My new album list results:

My questions are now two-fold. How in the world did this happen (not the only artist this has happened to), and how do I trust the album browser now? How do I fix this without going through my entire library one album at a time. This would take ages and I have no desire to undertake this, I’m open to suggestions. Thanks.

Steve

Hey @Steve_Chisholm – thanks for the report. Very strange.

We’re going to look into this a little further. Is there anything you can tell us about how you’re adding these albums to your library, or editing them once they’re in your library, that might help us reproduce the behavior you’re describing? I suspect that if we can identify the steps you’re taking to get into this state, we’ll be able to reproduce the issue in house, and fix what is probably a bug.

If there’s no clear flow you can identify for what might be going on here, maybe check out the Album browser, open Focus, and then the Inspector section, and focus on Hidden Albums – you’ll be able to find (and unhide) all your hidden albums this way, but hopefully you can also identify some commonality among the hidden albums that will help us understand this.

Again, just to be clear, this does seem like a bug to me, but I suspect we’re going to have a hard time reproducing, so the more information you can provide the better, as our QA team will likely spend some time on this trying to reproduce the issue, and even a minor detail can often make a huge difference during that process.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble here!

Thanks for the reply Mike. I’m not at the house right now so I will try and validate tonight when I get back and give you an update.

S

@mike (or support)

We have an issue here, I’m glad I can identify the problem children now, but how did 479 albums become hidden?

Obviously this is cause for concern, however I have no idea how long it has been going on. When I add albums, I just drop into their respective file system folder via the QNAP filemanager (or SMB). I monitor 2 high-level folders in Roon for changes and they get picked up automaticaly. File heirarchy is Hi-Res Music --> Artist --> Album in order to keep the path character limit in check. I’ve never noticed dropping a new album in and it not showing up in the album browser (how I look at a lot of my music to start a listening session). It looks like some of these have been picked up as duplicates so that may be the reason some of these are showing as hidden, however the “Hidden” focus doesn’t seem to be showing some albums I would expect to see (Moby for example is missing them from the focus and the artist page but they exist if searched)

No “Hotel” listing:

Search:

Let me know what else you need from me.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks Steve. We’ll do some testing and see if we can reproduce this problem with the information you’ve provided here.

In the meantime, one more test that might be interesting here:

• Focus the Album browser on Duplicates
  • Select all albums and tag them all as “Dupes” or something like that
  • Clear focus and Focus on Hidden
  • In Tags find the “Dupes” tag and click it twice so all tagged albums are hidden – you should end up with something like this:

If you can let us know what you’re seeing in this case, that might be helpful – what I’m trying to identify here is whether there is correlation between the albums that are being hidden and the albums Roon is detecting as duplicates.

If you have a chance to run that test, please let us know how it goes. In any event, we’ll look into this and see what we can figure out.