Raspberry Pi alternative endpoint

OK, thanks. Once I found the “Run” command (left-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and find it in the pop-up menu) that worked.

But Roon Bridge doesn’t start automatically. How do I make that happen?

Then you need to do this:

Nope. Overkill. For Roonbridge, run the program and it puts an icon on the taskbar, just like RoonServer. Right click that Roon icon and click Launch at Startup

2 Likes

It’s not than likely Rock would work on the minipc. No need for Windows then. I had it running on a 3rd gen NuC thin client just as an endpoint. Worked really well .

Thanks. It’s been years since I rassled with Windows, and of course 11 has covered everything with a new layer of faux we-care-about-you UI BS.

Hmm - netplwiz still present and working on my Windows 11 Pro systems (both production and dev builds). Perhaps it has been removed from the Home versions?

Good set of choices.

I like the Mini PC idea. I think that Archimago did a blog post on configuring one for audio and home theatre use. If you have a need for a PC to stream home theatre then that could be a good choice for the HDMI out and for PC-based playback. Those are probably getting powerful enough to run the full Roon Core.

Pre Raspi 4 devices would be just fine too. Not sure if anyone has tried the VIM single board computers.

1 Like

For me, nothing better than a Pi with Hat as Roon’s end point, both in terms of price and quality.

As a cheap alternative, I could list a ChromeCast (Video for those with an HDMI input, or Áudio or similar for RCA/Toslink).

Another one is DragonFly dongle plug in You PC/Laptop.

I use All this here.

Agree with @Luiz_Lobo.

Pi3 is more than sufficient for an endpoint. And with RoPieee, it is run as an auto-updated appliance without any maintenance at all. You also get an AirPlay endpoint with it. I use 4 of these endpoints over the house, all powered via PoE with a PoE->USB splitters.

Since you have a DAC/AMP in place you have to make up your mind whether to connect it via USB or via an SPDIF Audio HAT.

Cheers,
Jan

I can recommend Rpi4 which has better usb and no need to use hat if your dac has such input. And the solution is the most flexible - you can use it not only as a streamer.
And RPI software will be developed for years. Maybe even longer than Roon :slight_smile:

The question was about alternatives if the pi4 is not available for purchase :flushed:

1 Like

CanaKit has the Pi 4 2GB/128GB Extreme Kit available with shipping scheduled for May 15th:

The One with 1GB RAM is in stock and ready to ship:

1 Like

PiShop.US has all Pi 4 Starter Kits in stock. I just ordered one to have as a spare:

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. All very interesting. I think I’m going to hold-out for a Pi4 (availability seems to have improved this week) and run USB out. In the meantime, I found an old Apple TV which I’ve been running headless as an AirPlay endpoint. Not ideal but a fun start.

Another alternative, but which unfortunately also depends on a PI, but which can be a very simple and cheap Pi3, even used, with little memory to run the Roon add-on called:

rooUPnP

Now with it running on your internal network, wherever the Roon server is, you can access as EndPoint, any device that has the UPnP/DLNA protocol (most have, even older TVs, and old Streamers or Receivers that have access to network (wired or wifi) has).

I use it here successfully. It works well and increases the number of endpoints in the house well.

See more in this post below this community:

Ah sorry. To many threads on forum :frowning:

I can recomment this:

1 Like