"Raspberry Pi Hi-Fi Berry" audio option in "ZONES" appears then disappears rapidly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 64-bit; Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 16.0 GB RAM
Norton 360 Firewall
Roon Version - 1.7 (build 505) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Hardwired via TP-LINK TLSG1008 8 Port Gigabit Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry DAC+ – Pro

Description Of Issue
The option to select the “Raspberry Pi Hi-Fi Berry” audio option in “ZONES” appears for about 1/2 second then disappears rapidly. This repeats about once every 8-10 seconds. My PC configuration has not changed. This issue just started happening within the last few days.

Is it possible to drop back to an earlier version of Roon 1.7 to test for resolution to this issue?

NOTE: I temporarily disabled Norton360 firewall. Doing so did not resolve this issue. I have also rebooted all PC and networking equipment and rebooted the RaspberryPi.

Additional Note: In the Roon Audio Settings page under “Other Network Devices” there is a new (disabled) option named: HiFiBerry (ShairportSync) via Airplay, 192.168.1.131. Nothing happens when I try to enable it. I’ve left it disabled.

Solved. While watching the Raspberry Pi boot I noticed several lines which said something like “under-voltage detected”, the next line said something like normal voltage returned. The RPi said this with 2 different 5v 2amp power supplies. This leads me to believe that the RPi may be bad.

I installed the Roon image on another Raspberry Pi and it seems to be working normally. I’ll update you if the problem returns on the new Raspberry Pi.

With the DAC+ Pro, I believe a 5V 2.5A power supply is required. 2A may not be enough to power both the Pi and the Hat DAC

Thank you, I’ll double check the power supply rating and proceed accordingly.

RPi specifies a 2.5A supply for its own needs…adding a HAT is likely to push that need higher than 2.5. I would think about a 3A supply as good place to start.

Thanks for the suggestion. Amazon has several good options for 3A, 5.25V power supplies which are UL Listed and Certified. In fact, one seller specifically mentions “Avoids under voltage caused by additional accessories on the Raspberry Pi”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.