Raspberry Pi Support [Released in Roon 1.2]

First, I would like to be able to use my rune audio setup as an airport device on Roon. (I believe this is coming on the next build, right?)

We’ve improved compatibility with Shairport-Sync and probably Shairport, too–I am unsure what those guys are using internally to implement AirPlay, but it might work better with the next build.

Secondly, I would love to have a proper streaming endpoint option coming from you. I don´t know much about roondevices, but that seems great as an endpoint.

RoonSpeakers is in the works, both for Raspberry Pi type users and with hardware partners. It’s probably a few months out, but it’s being worked on. Raspberry Pi 2 is one of the first platforms we will target for that stuff.

It would be amazing to have a “core” option, headless, without any UI, just to get rid of the computer once and for all. I hate all this machinery, and noises that comes from it, on my living room.

Lets see what the Raspberry Pi 3 looks like and re-evaluate–I have a Raspberry Pi 2 on my desk here, and it’s not powerful enough to provide a good experience running the core software. The CPU is getting closer to adequate, but storage performance is still abhorrent. That’s a huge thing for Roon, since database management is the most performance constrained part of the app–We would want something more like an SSD and less like an SD-card to be part of the standard equipment. We would also prefer something with fewer/faster cores to something with many/slower cores. You can read more about hardware/performance issues in depth here.

1 Like