Raspbery Pi and IQAudIO boards

@andybob @weedos I am using a Pi B+ because when I transition from ethernet to wireless I wanted to be able to separate the wireless from the Pi case. It is plugged into a monitor and ethernet. I have read wifi does not work yet, but my plan is to use wifi.

Attached is the last part of the boot up sequence. I do not see any errors anywhere during boot up.

Okay, so Matt. Is it working as expected with ethernet?

Wifi support is not part of this RC3 release.

Gordon

No Sir. Not working at all either way. No IQAudio device shows in Roon.

Matt, thanks.

please PM me with your details (inc Time zone) so we can dive in and attempt to debug this for you…

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Gordon,

I would very much like to send you a PM, but it appears that since I am so new - I lack that permission.

If you PM me your email address I will happily send you my information via email.

Thank you for the help and understanding,

MB

Hi @mattbar1 ,

I’ve just upgraded you from new so you should be able to send PMs now.

Thank You.

I would like to configure two IQAudIO boards with Roonbridge 1.2

After reading what’s in here, and what’s in Linux section, I’m still clueless on what I have to do to get everything up and running.

Step 1. Order Raspberry and IQAudIO card (the one I would like is not on stock so even that is a problem :))

Step 2. Install Raspian probably.

Step 3. I don’t see drivers on the IQAudIO site, nor instructions so here I run into trouble.

Any guidance would be very appreciated…

Yes. Now RoonBridge is out I would like to replace my airport expresses with some Roon endpoints so I can group all the zones together. Needs to be Wifi as I cannot run cable and needs to be easy to setup as I am not a computer expert. 100 bucks is about my price limit.

Any suggestions?

Raspberry Pi 3 has built in Wi-Fi.

George.
I have 2 of them, a pi2 &pi3 both running as roon bridges. The iqaudio web site is a little obtuse. In the top right corner you’ll see what looks like an image which says something like “Download the user guide and pre configured images etc”, it’s actually a button to take you to a page where you can download prebuilt fully working images.

Choose IQRoonRC3.zip download it, burn it to an sd card, there are plenty of instructions on the web about how to do that and off you go.

I have never had any issues with the IQaudio images and roon except for when I tried to use the wireless ability of the Pi3 which isn’t yet supported by IQaudio, but I’m sure will be soon
HTH
Paul

1 Like

Hi George

Let me second what Paul just said - I have two RPI3’s with PI-DAC+, built into the correct housing. They have been running 24/7 for two/three weeks now using the IQRoonRC3.zip image - you will need to write this image to and SD card. I have an Apple environment, so I got ApplePi-Baker, inserted an SD card into the Apple, and had ApplePi-Baker write the image to the SD card.

I then inserted the SD card into the RPI3/PI-DAC+ combination - this combination runs headless (no keyboard, mouse, display), it just has an RCA cable to my stereo, an ethernet cable, and a power cable. Takes a minute or so before they were/are visible in Roon after booting.

I realize this may be very basic information - hope it is not too basic.

In any case, sound is great!

1 Like

Thanks guys. I missed the download section on their website while viewing on an iPad. That was the step I missed.

http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/

Ron,

Did you order everything (Raspberry + IQAudIO card + housing) with IQAudIO please ?
Could you elaborate or the the housing ?

Thanks,

George

I got the PI’s locally (I am in+ the Netherlands), but got the housing and PI-DAC+ through the iqaudio.co.uk site.
I have two different housings:

• Pi-CASE+ (Gloss Black)
  • Pi-CASE + (Smoked)

These are specifically for the PI/PI-DAC+ combination - if you decide to add a PI-AMP+ (you would then have three boards), you would need the PI-AMP+ case.

The cases are a small jigsaw puzzle, but one that even I could put together. I followed the instructions from the document at IQaudIO.pdf http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/IQaudIO.pdf. This contains a bit of technobabble on how to wire a physical volume control and some other things, but I did not bother with that. Volume can be controlled through Roon or your amp.

For me, it was pretty straightforward to put together, and with Roon 1.2 on Iphone/Ipad, the functionality is very much like Sonos - same or different music in every room where you an endpoint.

Hope this helps, don’t hesitate to ask if thou think I can help!

1 Like

I was am impressed with the cases…they are fun to assemble, and carefully designed so you don’t need instructions and they are impossible to put together the wrong way. Very cool.

I have an IQAudio DAC+ with the RC2 image on a Pi2 and all is working well. I have upgraded roon to 1.2 and all still seems to be working but should I upgrade to RC3 or is that just for the Pi3? is there an image coming specifically for Roon 1.2 or am I just clueless? :slight_smile:

If it’s all working well, then I would be tempted to leave well alone. I needed RC3 for my RPi2, but that was because of a discovery issue.

Can I assume if I put Roobridge on a Rasberry Pi 3 I can plug my existing DAC into my Pi to connect to my amp(s)… i.e. no need for an IQAudio DAC+

It might be [cough] a bridge too far? You could always give it a whirl…?