Raspbery Pi and IQAudIO boards

RoonBridge for Linux will work just fine with all devices that are seen by Alsa – so in all likelihood, your DAC will ‘just work’. Be aware though that the Pi’s USB setup is not ideal: above 192 it will lead to pops & crackles.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Remix Mini as a Wi-Fi endpoint

PiCorePlayer supports both IQaudIO kit and supports wifi. It is what I use rather than the IQaudIO images and it is excellent. I have the digiamp from IQaudIO.

CJ

Hello Richard

You appear to have IQaudiO and Wifi - I think I read there was a concern that the Wifi signals affected sound quality badly - I heard some folks recommending using a Pi2 rather than a Pi3 because they did not have built in wlan. Do you feel/hear that the Wifi affects sound quality?

Ron

I have had success using IQAudio Pi-DAC+ but only with PiCorePlayer. I tried the IQAudio provided image file with a Rasberry Pi 2 connected via Ethernet but Roon could not find. So I then tried PiCorePlayer and got it to work no problem via Ethernet and then switched it over to wifi using a cheap dongle (PiCorePlayer makes it easy to switch from Ethernet to wifi).

Since this worked flawlessly I built another endpoint where I needed digital out and this time used a Rasberry Pi 3, HifiBerry digi+ and again used PiCorePlayer. This also worked via Ethernet and wireless.

So given that PiCorePlayer worked with both an IQAudio DAC and the HifiBerry Digi+ I’ll be using PiCorePlayer and the squeezebox lite protocol rather than RATT which is fine with me as I see no difference and have tried files up to 24/192 without a problem.

@Gordon_Garrity

When will the IQAudio Pi-DAC+ be on stock again? Do you have a date as of when we can order them again?
Is it possible to order a pre-build version, including a RaspberryPi3? Maybe even with a nice full aluminium enclosure?

For those who are interested, some nice articles about the IQAudio Pi-DAC+ and Pi-DigiAmp+

QIAudio DAC Rapsberry Pi - 1.pdf
QIAudio DAC Rapsberry Pi - 2.pdf
QIAudio DigiAmp Rapsberry Pi.pdf

Pi-DAC+ are on order - blanks arrive tomorrow and will be populated, likely on store late next week all going well.

DigiAMP+ we have in stock.

Best regards,

Gordon

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a case or enclosure sold anywhere that cold be used to mount multiple Rasberry Pi 3s with IQAudio DAC HAT. I’d like to build something that has the appearance of a single component but has multiple pi’s that connect to 12 channel (6 zone) amp to distribute the ‘Roon Experince’ throughout my home with the sources (pi’s) and the amp centrally located to where all the speaker runs terminate (basement closet).

I have seen a few cases that hold multiple pi’s but not with the IQAudio board attached they wouldn’t work so any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideally it could hold 6 but even if it could hold 3 I could get 2 of them and make it work. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m just in the process of building a 3 zone unit using the IQAudio DigiAmp+ hats. (To replace 3x Sonos ZP100’s that drive ceiling speakers)

Single power supply, built in network switch etc. And lots of 4mm terminals on the back.

I’ll post some pictures once it’s finished (rest of the parts arriving tomorrow)

1 Like

Duncan - please do share as you are doing something very similar to what I’d like to d.

I am also replacing Sonos (6 zp80s and 2 zp100s) with the Roon/Pi/IQAudio approach. I have used Sonos since the day it was released and can say Roon is the first solution that I have come across since then that has the combination of interface, features and reliability to replace my Sonos. And at less than half the price of Sonos (inclusive of lifetime subscription) It’s a no-brainier.

I also have Control 4 and would love a way to integrate Roon into that (the way Sonos does) which there have been some rumblings about but haven’t heard anything lately.

Case so far, rear panel drilled and speaker terminals fixed.

2 Likes

Finalising the internal layout before wiring up and 3rd DigiAmp+ arriving tomorrow.

1 Like

Duncan that looks really neat and well beyond my skills :smile:.

I was wondering, however, why you prefer to convert from Ethernet to analog at a central location and distribute by speaker cable ?

I could see someone else choosing to run Ethernet from a switch to Pi/DAC modules located near the speakers in each room.

It’s from a legacy setup.

Originally; 15 years ago I wrote my own music system - single room - browse by covers etc. It used a Meridian 501 preamp as it was RS232 controllable & a Quad 306 power amp. This was my entry point to Meridian.

Later it moved to a Xantech zpr68 6 zone preamp connected to 2x 6 channel power amps. This fed 4 rooms down stairs and 2 up. All control by a touch screen that was in my hall and a client running on a PC.

A few years ago I swapped it for 5x Sonos ZP100 and their app on the touch screen - moved the 2 for upstairs to the loft but downstairs the speaker cables were already running to a central point; hence where I am today.

I could have used 3 pi’s separately. But that would mean 3 power bricks, 3 mains leads, 3 network connections, speakers leads that are too big for the DigiAmp+ screw terminals and a spaghetti of cables.

1 Like

http://www.abacus-electronics.de/files/manual_aroio_de.pdf

I will convert this aroioEx streamer to a Roon endpoint. Which image do I have to download? http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/

If you are connecting via the Ethernet cable I would use this one. http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/IQRoon_RC3.zip

thanks Duncan.

Any ideas how I could set up the Wifi on a Pi3 with that image?

You cannot, it’s only for a wired connection.

Very nice enclosure Duncan and thanks for posting. Something like that is beyond anything I could dream of building. Thinking about stacking a few cases like the ones IQAudio sells and get bolts that are long enough to go through a few of them. If not, I’ll just stick them together with double sided tape or something!