Raspbery Pi and IQAudIO boards

Gordon, would it be possible for you to allow orders on out of stock items and fulfill them when you get stock? I want to order a Pi DAC and PIDigiAmp to add two more end points to my system (I was so impressed with the last Amp, I sold my other systems and decided to go IQAudio throughout). My problem is that you never seem to have both in stock at the same time.

Cheers

Bob

Ged, I’m in the same boat, feeling a bit silly about using my Linn DSM (fed by a Pi 3) in a similar fashion. Let’s hope Naim and Linn both ultimately come around to supporting RAAT.

Why feel silly, Bryston is boxing up a Pi with a HiFiBerry Digi+ and selling is for over a grand:

https://www.hifiberry.com/2016/03/bryston-bdp-π-with-digi-inside/

Well, it’s true that I would feel even sillier paying $1,000 for the streamer I am plugging into my even more expensive streamer. And it’s true that I enjoy playing with the Raspberry Pi. But Linn (and Naim) should really support RAAT and make this sort of thing unnecessary. Plus, no matter how good the HDMI and SPDIF/Toslink inputs on my DSM may be, the device is optimized for network-based streaming over Ethernet, so it is a bit annoying to know I am throwing away a bit of audio quality performance (however minor it may be).

Well I had my roon server (NUC) going into a MF USB/SPDIF converter and then into the Naim whilst I waited for roon ready devices to become mature. Having signed up for lifetime roon two days after release of v1 I had obviously decided this was the way forward. The naim app is very good, but not as good as roon and uNPNP isn’t a 100% reliable thing as I was forever playing around with servers and the whole server, renderer stuff is plain confusing.
I bought the Pi and the IqAudIO DAC+ board and whilst probably not as good as the naim in Network streaming mode it is on a par with the NUC, SPDIF converter mode. I can’t see naim jumping on board the roon bandwagon so I will sell the naim and buy some more Pi and DAC+ devices and IFI power supplies for the main and office rigs. Then when I see a device that does what I want with roon, and roon only, I may buy a “better” device. I don’t want to buy a device like an Auralic that has roon added on as I am then paying for allthe non roon capabilities.

4 posts were split to a new topic: BeagleBone Black as an endpoint

New software available! RC4 is out :slight_smile:

http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/IQ_Roon_RC4.zip

Is there a change-log available anywhere for RC4?

Currently running Roon Bridge on my Pi3 + IQAudio and am interested in giving this a go, but need Wireless Support

RC3 is working great for me with the DAC+

@Gordon_Garrity, would be good with a change log to understand if I need to update.

Thanks, Joachim

1 Like

@Gordon_Garrity, any news on the metal enclosure?

RC4 simply moves the AMP unmute functionality out of the decoder itself and into the Linux startup scripts. No functional change. It may however make startup more reliable for some users.

We’ve been looking at the OLED support this last few weeks. More news on the enclosures late July.

Gordon

It does return the login to standard Raspberry Pi username / password. Those needing to enable WiFi etc. can do so although no change has been made by us to deliver an out-the-box wifi-enabled solution.

Robert, I hope to now have a continuous supply of boards each and every month. I do however have several manufacturers who are buying my stock at short notice now and again :slight_smile:

Today there are plenty of boards in stock. The best price solution is the Pi-DACZero, at half the price of the Pi-DAC+ it is supported by the Roon image. With a Pi-Zero, a Pi-DACZero, SD card, Power supply and either USB to Ethernet or USB Wifi dongle you could have a Roon end point for less than < £40

Gordon

1 Like

Thanks Gordon,

I’ll order as soon as my house move is over…

Bob

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible, using RC4 and an IQAudio setup, to add playback controls? There are instructions for adding a volume rotary encoder in the IQAudio documentation, but I don’t think they are specific to the Roon image, and I’m not sure if they would work with Roon. I’m specifically interested in adding volume control and play/pause to the Digiamp+, which I assume might be possible since the rotary encoder also has a momentary push switch (presumably for play/pause).

Any insight into whether this is possible now or in the future would be appreciated!

-Jamey.

Hi All,

I have one question, whenever my Roon server needs a restart i need power cycle my Raspberry to reconnect it.
I have installed http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/IQ_Roon_RC4.zip on a raspberry 2.

This also happened during the last upgrade of the Roon server application

is there any way to restart the Pi without having to pull the chord? Or even better is there a setting i am missing on the server to automatically reconnect?

Thanks, John

Edit: seems this post would be better of here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/iqaudio-raspberry-pi-not-showing-up-in-roon/

Please ignore it

@Gordon_Garrity: Any news, as promised? As Roon pictures including the enclosures are on Twitter now!

And is there a possibility you can make the case a bit more refined, please, like eg.:

Looks great! Very interested in a parts list if you have time to publish

Here is the parts list for my build including prices paid for bits (UK GBP). Hope this is helpful - but if you need part numbers for an item just let me know.

Sold my 3x ZP100’s (that were 7 years old) and was left with about £400 after the build :slight_smile:

3 Likes