Recalculating/adding tracks at every restart + splitting albums

Hi!

I’ve had these problems a while now and I’ve been lurking around a bit to see if someone else is experiencing the same issues.

Problem 1:
Every time i start Roon it recalculates the music collection on my drive (Drobo 5N connected via LAN).
This is not much of a problem really, but it becomes one since Roon sees “new” albums every time. Albums that isn’t new at all. That makes my actual new albums, if there is any, turn up further down in the overview, and the old “newly found” albums to be seen at the top of the overview.

When Roon does this it also calculates the number of albums different every time. It can be 10-20 albums higher or lower quite randomly, of course without any actual music being added to the folder where the music is being kept.

Problem 2:
When a “new” album has been recognised sometimes Roon splits the album in two parts with some tracks as one album and the rest as another. Both albums with the same name and artist and also the same artwork.
I’m aware that you can merge two albums, which I tend to do when this happens. But the problem is that it happens all the time on albums that that never had problems before. Also quite randomly.

Pictures 1-10 is showing the problem described above as Problem 1.
Pictures 11-12 is showing the problem above described as Problem 2.

System is a MacMini late 2012 2.3i7/16GB/240GBSSD -> Airport Extreme via cable -> Drobo 5N via cable.
All the software are the latest specs. Even in the router.

https://community.roonlabs.com/groups/support

Hi @Thomas_Rosander ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. Can you please verify for me how you are accessing the NAS?

In other words are you mounting the drive in Roon or are you mounting it via finder, then navigating to it from the application?

-Eric

FYI: When dropping support a flag you can use “@support

Hi Eric!

The Drobo is mounted via Roon, not via Finder.
Please see attached picture for all my folders.

BR,
Thomas

@support, did you see my reply?

Hi @Thomas_Rosander ---- Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to provide the requested screenshot(s). Both are appreciated!

Moving forward, can you verify for me if jumbo frames are engaged on the NAS or if you are making use of any sort of port aggregation?

Lastly, can you confirm what SMB protocol you are using to mount this drive (SMB: 1,2,3)? A screen shot from your network share settings on the NAS would be great.

-Eric

Hi @Eric!

Jumbo frames are not engaged as you can see on the screenshot below.
No port aggregation is used. Don’t think the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule can handle that.
SMB in OSX Sierra is default setting, I think that is SMB2?

BR,
Thomas

Thomas… I would instead reserve fixed IPs for the NAS (and other devices) on the Airport base station instead of setting them on each device :wink:

@pl_svn That’s seems to be worth a try! I read a bit about that just now. So, would you say static ip:s for the Drobo and the MacMini set up on the Airport actually would make a difference? I guess all other devices wouldn’t matter, like iPhones etc?

it might make a difference, Thomas
(I’m not sure about what happens if the IP the device asks for was already assigned, by the Airport, to another one which booted/connected before)

and… yes: just the “machines” involved in music playing is enough
don’t forget to restart the Airport, first, then the devices you reserved IPs for, afterwards. and obviously set these to “use DHCP”

Ok @pl_svn, the Airport is now set up with hardcoded ip for the Drobo (both the Music and the Movie Drobo) and the MacMini and I’ve rebooted everything in the right order.

What I didn’t change yet is the set ip in the Drobo as this is the same ip as it has in the Airport. I guess that will not matter at all? Or should I change them to DHCP so that only the Airport takes charge of the addresses?

Anyway, Roon is now recalculating again. I will reboot a couple of times and se if it works any better.

shouldn’t matter if everything is properly set up but… I’d definitely let just the Airport be in charge of assigning IPs when requested and every device pointing at it as DHCP server :wink:

So @pl_svn, now I’ve set the Drobo to automatic ip via dhcp and rebooted everything a couple of more times.
The problem with Roon recalculating is still there even if things seems a bit more stable.
@support, please see the changes I’ve made with static ip in the Airport router during the weekend, i.e. static ip set for the MacMini and the Drobo, but that didn’t do the trick either. Any ideas?

sorry Thomas: no further ideas :frowning:

let’s hope support has

Hi @Thomas_Rosander ---- Thank you for you sharing your feedback with us and my apologies for the wait here. I would like to propose another test to see if we can trigger a change here.

Can you try enabling SMB3 on your Drobo NAS. Then, open the “terminal” on your Mac and enter this following command line:

smbutil statshares -a

It should show all shared folders and the SMB version which is used to communicate with them. Please take a screenshot and share in your update.

-Eric

Hi @Eric!

I can 't seem to find anywhere in the Drobo Dashboard setting where I could change protocol to SMB3. Any idea on how to do it?

BR,
Thomas

@support it seems like the Drobo actually is connected via SMB3 after all.

@support Things are a bit more stable now, but some odd problems remain, like the two albums on the left of the picture below.
The album on the left reappears every second time i reboot Roon as a new album, which it isn’t. The album second from the left appears almost every time I reboot Roon. It is a fraction of the actual album which is already recognised by Roon. This turns up as a new album with two or a bit more songs no matter how many times I either merge albums or just hide them.

The Patti Smith album and the new Alison Krauss was added at the same time. As you can see only the Patti Smith is recognised as a new album while the Krauss isn’t.

The Lissie albums are a newer add than the Springsteen albums, but they are not noted as new either.

I’ve done about ten reboots now with the new network setting and things are really more stable but still has some issues as you can see. Recalculating last reboot yesterday evening took all night and now its adding “new” albums again.

@support Right now Roon is adding incomplete duplicates of albums again. And has dropped about 200 albums again.

:anguished:

though, Thomas… you can only tell if/how many albums Roon dropped after the whole rescanning is done
did you actually let it complete when this happens or you just reboot the Mac?