Recap vintage Naim or trade in for LS50W?

The caps in the image are leaking (stains on top) or have internal issues (domed top). The top serves as a rupture disk that prevents the cap from going bang. The boffins at DIY Audio can coach you through replacement. It is not hard. The tricky bit can be knowing the good brands and lines and getting a physical fit. DIY Audio can help here.

From what you are saying, the volume control needs a shot of cleaner.

Consider replacing your vintage electronics with well chosen modern gear. Schiit Audio has a European distributor. You can test drive a Freya+ preamp and Vidar amp for the cost of return shipping. I just installed a Vidar in place of a Great American Sound Ampzilla classic solid state amp. The two are both fully differential complementary symmetry Class AB amplifiers of similar power. I was surprised at the increase in focus and heft of the Vidar over Ampzilla who had lost some magic smoke. Vidar benefits from computer aided design, modern parts, and an innovative designer standing on Jim Bongiorno’s shoulders.

1 Like

I’e been doing hifi repairs and building for 50 odd years since when I was a kid. Those in the pic were not as bad as many I have done. But even non impacted looking ones still need to be tested on older or gear with some issues. Sometimes the effort is just not worth it if you have to pay someone labour and parts markups especially if there are other issues like replacing that ALPS motorised pot too. I fix my own things or stuff I am given if it interests me otherwise its down to the bin area. Time is money and other peoples time can be costly.

It’s all a matter of costs.

1 Like

@Mike_Betts, did you get a price back for servicing the Naim kit?

Through an official Naim dealer £330 per unit. Not yet sure what shipping from Berlin would cost me.

Via Class A Audio:
Nac-102 £135.00
Nap-180 £189.00

@David_Hamby
“The caps in the image are leaking (stains on top) or have internal issues (domed top). The top serves as a rupture disk that prevents the cap from going bang.”

That was not a picture of my unit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I figured that looked a bit modern for classic Naim gear but I did want to point out what a curious owner should look for.

I began in hifi in 1967 when I built a Dyna Stereo 70 and PAS-3. I have done a power supply transplant on a Conrad Johnson first preamp. When, after 20 years, my CJ died, I discovered I no longer had the original B+ voltages to design a new supply so I replaced it with a Parasound P-5. John Curl designed the audio bits to a price. It was a revelation. Classic gear designers like John Curl (works as a contract audio engineer across the HiFi and pro audio industries) continue to grow. John designs the good kit for Parasound.

A few months ago, I was faced with the same decision when the magic smoke started escaping from my Ancient GAS Ampzilla. This is a complex amp, basically an operational amplifier capable of 200W/channel into 8 ohms. Have it overhauled a second time or buy a modern amp. Damn, a Schiit Vidar ($700) was half the cost of an overhaul ($1400).

And Vidar is a better amp to boot. Jason Stoddard, Vidar’s father, followed in the foot steps of Jim Bongiorno, Ampzilla’s father at Sumo. Something about standing on the shoulders of giants. And Mike Moffat, Jason’s partner, was Theta Audio and Theta Digital. This dynamic duo is all about value and bringing new fans into the audio hobby.

The LS50W is good kit but can you audition Magenepan LRS or any Maggie in Berlin? ELAC is a strong alternative to KEF.
John Darko has reviewed both but not any Maggies. Looking quickly, I don’t see a Magnepan forward support element for the EU.

Schiit Audio has UK and EU outlets. https://www.schiit-europe.com/

Happy hunting.

1 Like

It might be an idea to check with Naim’s service department whether they have been serviced/recapped in the past. If they’ve been back to Naim, they will have a record of what was done.

In your place I think I’d get the amps serviced. You might find they just do more of what you liked in the first place. Some people prefer ‘olive’ Naim to the newer kit… and it’s probably more readily saleable with a fresh service.

(I decided to keep it in-house. ND5XS2 into the NAIT5 I bought in 2002)

1 Like

I have Naim amplification in my main system and own a KEFLS50w.

I wouldn’t dream of using the KEF for my main source. Mine are packed up to go back for repair - out of warranty :rage:.

I did have the atom / nova precursors a UniQute and SuperUniti and although the SuperUniti was clearly better the UniQute was a great product and probably a sweet spot. I’d ask your dealer to let you try the atom at home and see what you think.

There is however something iconic about the separates you have and you may forever regret not servicing them.

You really should be well able to have streaming sounding better than your 30 year old CD3.5. I think your transporter must be the weak link, although I’d expect it to be at least equal, so perhaps there is something else going on here.

.sjb

1 Like

This has been an amazing journey over the last few days thanks so much to everyone for inputting.

You’re right @Sloop_John_B thank you. I’m currently leaning towards keeping the separates and servicing them, at least the 180/102.
Just figuring out if better to do via a Naim dealer/service center in UK or here in Berlin.

I was very tempted by the simplicity of an Atom or Nova. On the other hand a) if something breaks the whole system is down, b) digital streaming is still maturing and c) I’m emotionally attached to my ‘olive’ separates. I actually love how they look.

So for now it’s about servicing, 102 is the priority, and scouring eBay for a bargain ND5 xs2.

And eventually much better speakers.
That’s the downside of separates - upgradeitis!

1 Like

Thanks @AndyR, am leaning in this direction!
Used ND5 XS2’s seem hard to find though.

There’s one on Audiogon here in the states:

I’m not sure what Naim servicing facilities would be like in Germany, but in the UK, I would recommend Class A in Sheffield. They are Naim authorised, and do a very good job. Parts are generally sourced via Naim, and they are usually quicker and cheaper.
Not sure how they are operating under current circumstances, but they used to take work from EU countries.

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisSU
Am in contact with Class A already :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Sheldon. Unfortunately Naim seems to be more expensive in US than Europe…