Recognizes device, but no sound

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
2016 iMac, Mojave 10.14.4

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Optimum online wifi - but there is no involvement of internet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
All Schiit - DAC is Gungnir MB, amp is Mjolnir2.
USB connections.
You should have them among the available devices. They are a major headphone-focused brand, universally known and admired.

Description Of Issue
Please note: Apple techs have no idea how audio works. This one happens a few times a week. Not increasing.

Very aggravating. Roon recognizes the DAC. Allows it to be the device. DAC recognizes incoming signal, with built in indicator.

BEFORE The DAC is chosen, iMac allows it to be the output sound device. Once it is recognized by Roon, sound preferences no longer allow sound to it, built-in audio being highlighted in the Sound Preferences, and no sound preference actions allow the computer to recognize the device.

Again, DAC clicks to indicate incoming signal, but sound output of the computer won’t change to allow the output even though Roon chooses the DAC…

This rejection of the DAC happens once the DAC is selected. Then… at some mysterious time in the future, the music starts up… probably not a Roon originating problem, but someone must know what to do.

NO ONE I’ve spoken to who knows Apple products seems to understand external audio set-ups like this.

I’ve re-set NVRAM…

Welcome to the forum, @Daniel_Sapen!

If I’ve understood correctly, you run Roon on your iMac and the Gungnir is connected to the iMac via USB. You only use local files: are these stored on the iMac too?

It’d be really helpful if you could provide a screenshot of the following:

• Settings > Audio
  • Settings > Audio > Device Setup (for the Gungnir)
  • Signal Path when playing music.

Hi @Daniel_Sapen,

Welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, the screenshots that @Martin_Webster requested would be very useful to help clarify the issue. You can post screenshots to this community website by using these instructions. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.