Recommend me an ADC

I am looking to get a decent but not extortionate ADC to digitise my vinyl setup and send on to Roon via internet radio so I can use Roons DSP as I do for digital playback.

I have tested out this using a Raspi, liquidsoap, Iceast and a HifiBerry DAC+ ADC. Whilst it worked the sound was not great from the HAT and liquidsoap will only do 16bit on Rasbian as their is only an older version available prebuilt ans I am not going to compile it. Also the latency between when you start to play and the sound going out it is too high for my liking. I am now looking to switch the internet radio side to something with a bit more grunt and initial tests have improved latency.

So really I am looking for advice as to what others might be using to digitise their vinyl collection. Device needs to have RCA line level inputs as feeding it from my phono preamp. Capture up to 192/24 preferably work on Linux but can use Windows and needs usb out to the pc but it must not require proprietary software for capture.

I have seen some good reviews from users of Focusrite 2i2 and the Apogee Duet. However the Focusrite will stick out like a sore thumb and has no RCA in so prefer something more hifi if possible. Don’t want to break the bank either so I am not looking into the the 1000’s of £$.

Any advice welcome if it’s in my budget constraints and I am not looking to change my phono stage, if I was I would go for the PS Audio NuWave.

I used an (older version of the) Apogee Duet several years ago to digitise my LPs and was very pleased with the result. The hardware seems solid and it worked faultlessly with the software I was using, AlpineSoft’s Vinyl Studio.

I’ve used a ps audio new wave phono but these were discontinued but might still be stock around at ps audio or a distributors

Too expensive and I have a phono stage I am happy with.

Furutech ADL gt40a looks Interesting but has stuff I don’t need as I only want ADC.

RME Babyface Pro has a class compliant mode.

As well as it’s newest incarnation the Babyface Pro FS.

DIY
https://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html

1 Like

Have a look at ASC: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/audio-interfaces-adc.52/

The Focusrite comes off favourably there, too.

Used it to digitize most of my small collection. Thinking about it I do not really need it any longer and might as well offer it. PM me if you’d be interested in buying it used (it’s about 1 1/2 years old). :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 on the Focusrite. Supports up to 24-bit/192kHz

1 Like