Recommendations for getting the most stable Windows 10 setup?

So, I am planning to setup a Surface Pro 3 as the endpoint and controller to my home theater system. It will be docked and stationary. It will be used for Roon, and nothing else. I am looking for tips to get the most stable setup possible. How to maximize uptime and reliability?

Start at the HW level. Make sure you disable in the BIOS all devices that you know you won’t be using. Like Bluetooth, WiFI (maybe you will use Eth only, etc.), smart card reader. Etc… Basically, whatever you do not use you disable.
Then upgrade to newest version BIOS and firmware of all the built in devices.
Disable system sound.
Disable ‘Windows Background Apps’
Disable notifications
Disable Visual effects

That’s pretty much all you need to do. Will you also connect the SP3 over USB to some DAC? Or it will be just Roon Remote?

1 Like

[quote=“Pawel_Walczak, post:2, topic:36981, full:true”]That’s pretty much all you need to do. Will you also connect the SP3 over USB to some DAC? Or it will be just Roon Remote?
[/quote]

First and foremost, I was looking to use the SP3 as an endpoint, and maybe occasionally for control. My intent is to connect the SP3 to my Denon receiver via HDMI. I seem to be running into some issues with this approach though… I can only get sound when my Projector is powered on. I’m gonna do some more troubleshooting on this tonight. I welcome any advice here.

And thanks for that excellent list of recommendations @Pawel_Walczak!!

So, I’ve got this Surface Pro 3 working pretty well as an output to my Denon AVR. One problem though…

Windows is set to never go to sleep. However, I do have the screen set to turn off after 1 hour. Problem is, once the screen goes off, Roon stops playing. I touch the track pad to turn the display on, press play in Roon, and all is well again. Any advice?