Recommended NUC for HQPLAYER

Isn’t it important to use a LINEAR PSU?

I see this machine has a regular PSU.,.

Thanks

I do realise you mentioned the intensive filters here - I agree of course.

For other people’s info, for less CPU intensive filters:

My fanless NUC7i7DNHE does DSD256 fine with poly-sinc-short-lp and poly-sinc-lp (both non-2s…)

Very limited options of course but it can handle some filters fine…

I mostly run at DSD512 though, with poly-sinc-ext2 (always 2s) or poly-sinc-short-lp-2s. The same fanless NUC does fine running both HQPe at DSD512 and Roon Server… Case gets very warm (as it’s supposed to) and CPU runs at ~ 70 deg C

Hi,

I can’t find the link to download HQPlayer NAA

Is it a dedicated program ? What is the difference between the NAA version and regular?

Thanks

There is a download link for the Network Audio Daemon on the same page as HQ Player Desktop.

Yes it is a dedicated program. It can only be used with HQ Player.

The NAA is not a version of HQ Player. It is a lightweight network endpoint for HQ Player; Roon Bridge is to Roon as an NAA is to HQ Player.

Not really important when the machine is going to be away from your music equipment. I’ll add that the Corsair is a powerful machine and needs a beefy power supply.

Hi andybob,

I dled the dameon and this is what I get when I open the file:

What do I do next? The screen remains like this and doesn’t open anything else…

That’s how it works. Now on your full blown HQPlayer machine that nework endpoint should show up.

Please excuse my ignorance but let me get this straight:

On the main computer,with Win10, (that will be placed in a different room without the audio equipment) I install Roon and HQplayer desktop.

On the NUC (which will be hooked up via usb to my DAC next to the audio equipment) I load the HQ NAA.

What next? Do I have to setup the HQplayer on the main computer for it to search for the HQplyaer NAA on the NUC?

Can I switch filters only from the main computer Hqplayer Desktop?

Thanks

Correct you go into HQPlayer on the main computer and tell it to use the NAA on the NUC. It should automatically discover it. I don’t have a screen shot, maybe @andybob can help you with one.

Yes you will then switch filters on the main HQPlayer desktop.

Thanks

@andybob Can you please help out?

Thanks

In HQ Player Desktop Settings, choose Backend NAA and select which of the available Devices you want. I’ll post a screenshot of what my Serttings look like this evening.

You should read the HQ Player Manual. The latest PDF version is distributed with the software.

Why are you using a NUC as an NAA ? It is more expensive than a Pi running a DietPi NAA and noisier than a similarly priced microRendu or ultraRendu.

He has the NUC already.

1 Like

Ah, thanks Doc.

This can turn into something like a religious debate, said on a particular thread over on CA Forum. Especially a couple of specific NUC models :grin:

I agree with you though.

The windows based NUC can have it’s advantages with certain DACs and direct DSD and the required ASIO drivers.

Great! A screen shot would be excellent.

I already have a NUC connected. I power it with a Hdplex linear psu. Not that noisy.
You think a raspberry pi or mR would be preferable?

Also, isn’t it a problem that the NUC/rasberry pi/mR have a standard cheap usb port?
I was thinking of buying a sotm usb port for the main computer and hooking up USB directly to the DAC…
That would obviously mean that I am hooking up the main computer direct and giving up on the NAA…
What would be the difference?

Thanks

Give it a go with what you have. Baby steps. The windows based NUC has advantages and pretty much guarantees the higher rate DSD will work as I said a couple posts up.

1 Like

I agree .

Just wondering if the cheap usb port on the NUC that connects to the DAC is significantly audio wise inferior to a sotm usb port from a main computer…

If the USB input on your DAC is exceptional, it won’t matter much at all what’s feeding it.

1 Like

Here is my HQ Player Settings page. I choose NetworkAudioAdapter Backend and the default Device for NAA running on a microRendu connected by USB to a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF2 is as shown:

1 Like