Recommended NUC for HQPLAYER

Thanks Ofer.

If you disable “auto rate family” and try PCM44.1 to DSD256x48 (12288000 Hz), I believe this is what DrTone is asking.

(if your Lampi can accept 1bit 12288000 Hz sample rates).

I had a problem at the beginning that in some songs the CPU jumped to 100% in a second.
I greyed out “multicore dsp” and checked “auto rate family” and it was fixed.
I don’t know which one of them actually fixed the problem…
What does auto rate family actually do?

Ofer, in the end it works for you and that’s all that matters. You also have the option to add the GPU down the road if you move up to DSD512.

1 Like

What about if you grey out “multicore dsp” and disable “auto rate family”?

Does it work then?

For DSD256 up-sampling it keeps PCM44.1/88/176/353kHz to 11289600 Hz.

And it keeps PCM48/96/192/384kHz to 12288000 Hz (if DAC supports this).

This can be lower CPU loading than PCM44.1 to 12288000 Hz (for example).

1 Like

That’s for sure…
So for 512 no chance that it will work without the Gpu?

Following the HQP threads here and CA Forum, I haven’t seen anyone report on i9-9900K yet.

So you might be the first to test/confirm later (especially sticking with auto family rate).

1 Like

Oh… that makes sense.
So actually checking “auto rate family” would lower the quality a bit (in theory) from what I understand.

I will check tomorrow if I grey out “multicore dsp” and uncheck “auto rate family” if it works and get back to you… Not next to the computer…

1 Like

Not lower quality, should only be lower CPU. How much lower is impossible to guess. Better to look at CPU loading for a better idea, whenever you get the chance.

So if it doesn’t reduce sound quality what would be the logic to uncheck it if it gives more “rest” for the cpu?
Nevertheless I will check it tomorrow and get back to you with an answer.

Thanks for the help !

Only to see if the i9-9900K is up to the task alone (without GPU help for example). Not for SQ reasons.

Also some of HQP filters don’t run at integer multiples of the base rate and some DACs don’t support DSD512x48.

So testing PCM44.1 to DSD512x48 and PCM48 to DSD512x44.1 can be helpful for people using those filters and those DACs.

It’s just for sharing info for others looking to build a HQPlayer server.

1 Like

Hi Sean,

Great news.

I unchecked “auto rate family” and poly-sync-xtr-mp works perfect!

So I reckon the i9900k is up for the task ( at least for 256/48 DSD.

1 Like

How was the CPU load converting 44.1 pcm to DSD 256x48? You would have to manually select 48 rate family as your output.

Oh wait…

It actually works with Tidal MQA tracks.

When I play a regular flac file from my NAS the CPU goes to 100% and HQP crashes.

Any idea why?

That MQA track is 24/48 so it will easily go to DSD256 x48 as it’s the same rate family.

What was the track you played from your NAS? 44.1?

If the later was 44.1 it will require more CPU to convert to DSD256x48.

Yep it was 44.1 on the NAS.

Does this mean if I want to convert 44,1 to 48 I will need to add a GPU? Is this even necessary?
I mean it does work on 256 DSD and the non -2s filters work… What is the advantage of upsampling from 44.1 to 48?

No use auto rate as your DAC obviously handles both rate families. There are some DACs that don’t and this was good information for them as to the capabilities of the 9900k.

2 Likes

I have a DAC (Holo Spring 1) that only does DSD 512 x 44.1. This drove me slightly crazy when trying to use Closed form filters with 48k files. The reality is I have to drop back to DSD 256 for them. Otherwise the poly-sinc filters handle conversion seamlessly. The new Spring 2 can do DSD 512 x 48.

The question is what would be the actual difference in sound quality from 44.1 converted to 48?

I’ve always like the results of staying in the rate family vs going to the highest possible. Definately not worth the thousands of dollars for the video card.