Recommended restore process after database issue

I’m supporting a friend via Teamviewer and his Roon setup (I also run Roon). Looking for exact steps to undertake a full restore please.

After he tried to add a wifi access point (nothing to do with Roon) he had various connection issues. Reversed all changes but Roon now reporting “There was an issue loading your database. Don’t worry …”.

Now can’t get passed that error screen. He has a daily backup (if I recall 10 full backups) and relevant folder has about 19gb of data over about 125k files).

Am currently copying that folder to a different folder (just in case!).

What steps to take to restore the database please?

My thinking is simply to run the Roon install process again and instead of logging in or creating a new account choose the restore option. Is that correct?

Bit surprised that I can’t get passed the error screen.

Roon Core 1.8 running on a Windows 10 Pro. Been flawless for at least 3 years.

Incidentally why is the backup database spread over tens of thousands of files. I would have thought using a relational database would be more efficient (and easier to copy).

cheers
Edward

@support

1 Like

Hey @Edward_L,

Thanks so much for reaching out, not just for yourself but for your friend as well :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sorry about the trouble! Trying a fresh install of Roon and restoring the database would be worth trying. You might have already found the instructions in our help center, but I’m linking them below for quick access anyway:

As much as I wish it wasn’t the case, generally “There was an issue loading your database” points to database corruption. Here’s how you can check:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

Please, let me know how that goes :pray:

Deleted. Crossed with a response from support.

Yup, no worries - your post is already in the Support category. And thanks for your patience - we want to do all we can so your friend can be hooked up on music again :slightly_smiling_face:

Many thanks Rebeka

I’ll ask my friend to review your steps and either let him do them or I will (via teamviewer).

Always feel nervous mucking around with someone else’s data - particularly a roon database. I know he has curated this over a long time. It would be a bad day if he lost that.

cheers
Edward

I can hear your concern - fingers crossed it is not a corrupted database :crossed_fingers:

Please, let me know what ends up happening :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi again rebeka

Restore done. Music flowing nicely. One happy listener.

Backup routine was every 2 days so I skipped the very last one (yesterday Wednesday) and went back to previous (Monday).

Thanks for your help. :ok_hand:

Couple of follow on comments if I may?

1. It would have been more useful not to have been locked into an error screen. Better, imo, to be allowed into the Roon app and then presented with suitable restore options.

2. The backup folder is very unwieldy. In this instance over 125,000 files consuming significant disk resource. Seems to me that significant optimisation in this area could be had.

kind regards
Edward

1 Like

Hey @Edward_L,

How encouraging to hear! Everything happened much much faster than I expected. And thanks for keeping me posted :slight_smile:

Also, yes please! Comments (and feedback) are welcome anytime - the Roon app is constantly evolving and hearing from you leaves the guessing out of the game when it comes to figuring out what you need.

I’ve passed it on to the team. Thanks :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.