Recorded Needle Drop - Dave Brubeck Time Out - Original Columbia Six-Eye Stereo

I always really loved this album on CD. I was at the record shop and found this on vinyl… I did not expect much… I am not a huge vinyl enthusiast, but I have good equipment, and a decent collection. I figured that the pops and noise would dampen in enthusiasm for listening to this, worst case, I would hang the album cover on the wall. So, this recording blew me away… Much more clarity and life than the 1997 CD remaster I have been listening to, especially with the percussion and Paul Desmond‘s sax. It sounded like someone had taken a blanket off the recording.

The 1959 record wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty darn close. I immediately was like: “How can I get this on digital to help preserve it?“ Internet research indicated that some of these original mixes, both in mono and then stereo are very difficult to come by on CD. I even read somewhere that the master tapes were no longer available that they had been destroyed… I don’t know if that is true.

My set up with simple to record this but I am incredibly pleased with the results, here’s the chain: iPad Pro running garage band > M-Audio Solo > Technics 1500C equipped with a new Ortofon Red cartridge.

I trimmed the beginning and end of each side, exported to Apple lossless, and added to Roon… Amazingly easy peezy and the quality is amazing. Very happy to preserve this unique recording.

5 Likes

Very happy to see that someone still cares enough to go to the trouble of preserving this fine recording.
Well done!

4 Likes

Thank you. It really opened my eyes to the dubious value of “remasters“…

Great work! :slight_smile:
I must ask, how much did an original LP cost?

And, an external Apogee Duet 2 or such, directly connected to your Phono stage output will be even better as a ADC. I regularly record some albums/tracks as it makes it easier to compare various vinyl setups.

The first, best, and original mix CD mastering is on Columbia CK 8192 – with “Take Five” instead of “Time Out” on the back inlay spines.

This catalog number and mastering exists in two variants: 1984 CSR (CBS/Sony Records pressing plant in Tokyo) Japan for US CD pressing and 1985 DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corporation pressing plant in Indiana) pressing. I have two of the former, one of the latter. One I found in the used CD bins, the others acquired online.

These pressings went out of print within 1-3 years because of the 1986-1987 Columbia Jazz Masterpieces remaster, CK 40585, and the eventual 1997 Columbia/Legacy HDCD remaster, CK 65122, neither of which is very good compared to the original CD mastering.

AJ

3 Likes

Thank you…great info… I had read about this and actually did acquire the 1984 version… It is quite a bit better than the 1997 for sure… But this LP has a unique signature especially notable in the cymbals and percussion.

Thank you, Apogee $$$….what I did sounds great and I think I’ll invest the money in Klipsch Heresy speakers instead. :grin:

1 Like

Another way to get this in digital form is to rip it from an SACD. I have the Analogue Productions SACD of this album and the DSD rip sounds fantastic. The two channel track was remastered by Bernie Grundman, whereas the multichannel track was taken from an earlier Sony SACD release.

Yes, from my listening experience, Analogue Productions CAPJ 8192 SA sounded close to Columbia CK 8192, more so than any of the first party Columbia remasters.

I might add that omitted from my previous post was the Super Bit Mapping remaster, Columbia/Legacy MasterSound (CK 52860 in longbox, 1992; CK 64408 in slipcase, 1994). I have not listened to it extensively, however.

AJ

Apologies I missed this question earlier: the LP cost $25 at my local used record shop.

2 Likes

This has been awaiting repress for months. I look forward to grabbing it when it is available. My LP sounds fantastic, but it is just a common red label disc. I like the nineties HDCD remaster as well.

I do have a safety master of Time Out. It is on 1/2" tape, 15ips 2 track from the CBS Holland location where Columbia production and safety masters are produced. It is from 1988 and was used to make copies for Yugoslavia. It has test tones from 15K to 100 Hz at the head, gaps between each piece, including a big gap between the two sides (so guessing it was for vinyl.) A friend of mine visited a couple of years ago and chose this tape to listen to. He listened through the entire tape. He is a grammy winner mastering engineer in the SF Bay area.

3 Likes