Regarding roadmap for future development

There has been some discussion as to whether future plans for development should be detailed officially, and whilst it’s a difficult one to adhere to, some idea of work in progress and also projected items to tackle would be very useful, especially items the development of which or lack thereof can result in potentially massive numbers of man-hours of re-working files structures, tagging etc, within the customer base.

A prime example is album art. At the moment I have my collection with album art separated off from the folders of music.

Each album of music, flacs, or DSF, etc, is in one named folder with the art in a parallel folder in the same folder level and with the same name as the music folder but with a suffix “ART”. This avoids unnecessary duplication in case there’s a double album, and also avoids filling up the music folder with art which is not very elegant.

Now, with Roon, to get it to read all this lovely info in pictorial form, I need to put the album art in to the folder with the music, so of course, now I’m studiously going back through 1000’s of folders and moving data, deleting ART folders, etc. Thus taking up a lot of time, which of course is a labour of love in our OCD world.

But imagine in next build that Roon allows for some kind of logic to add the album art from a parallel folder or other system to scavenge art in an even better way, then it renders all that work null and void or worse still will set us off on another path to meet the criteria of the new system which has been implemented.

Even if there’s no timescale given, at least we can say to ourselves, “ok this is on the cards, so maybe Ill hold fire with this massive undertaking my side and see how things go for the next year…”

There are similar issues with file tagging best practices and how Roon accomodates and displays data based on tags. And probably a host of other areas which would benefit from a fluid software roadmap.

Just sayin… :slight_smile:

Right… I’m off back to my album art processing… :slight_smile:

Why not add to one of those topics? :wink:

Oops. You’re right. I didn’t think. Will try and do better next time :slight_smile:

That is not your fault but rather a symptom of a disorganised feature request forum. There need to be sub-forums for different types of feature requests. I have raised this with the devs but have yet to hear any response.

1 Like

I’m beginning to see the pros of your suggestion. On multiple items today :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, can be hard work being an unofficial forum moderator :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you applying? No wait, better to be asked, right? :wink:

1 Like

Not unless the pay is good :wink:

1 Like

I feel a new discussion thread coming up :wink:

2 Likes

Yep. But I’d rather they worked on the Roon side of things than the forum :grin:

True, but to work on the Roon side of things the team need to know what the user base wants. And changing the forum layout would be a 5 minute job :slight_smile:

Aha. The old chicken and egg syndrome. All this input must be quite a nightmare to collate and prioritise. Quite exciting to be part of, though, I’m sure.

1 Like