Release 1202<1211<1182 in terms of sound quality. Anyone agree?

Posting about changes to the sound quality of Roon from release to release on the Roon community is the same as posting “Neil Peart really isn’t that good” on a Rush forum. :fire: :fire: :fire:

9 Likes

If you don’t want escalation, you should probably refrain from this kind of speculation.

4 Likes

whatever, have a nice day.

Well they currently also make changes in their infrastructure / backend. I think it was also mentioned in release notes somehow.

Btw: when updating a core version always wait till CPU usage goes down to a normal value - which can take some time based on your configuration.

2 Likes

To achieve what exactly? Also, if you use DSP, won’t the CPU go right back up as soon as you start playing?

Well sometimes new build / core version make updates to database/browse library etc or do other CPU / memory intensive tasks.
DSP is normally by far not that CPU, I/O heavy.

Depends on the core and the settings. Many people run with a 1.5x multiplier, so quite maxed out, and Roonlabs say that’s fine

EDIT: But true it’s not I/O heavy

1 Like

some explanation from Roon about sound quality

Sound Quality (roonlabs.com)

I agree, 1182 build sounded fuller,1202 was bad and 1211 is better.1182 was way better

The very same here!

How about we make it a mandatory requirement to post signal path when claiming sq differences due to software changes?

1 Like

Not enough… add to that a comparative functional MRI brain scan…

10 Likes

I’m not sure I’d know how to screenshot that…

1 Like

On a Mac Command + Shift + 4. Then you can select an area as well.
So for example just

Haven’t used Windows in awhile (apart from games).

This topic calls for a deeper analysis by Amir from Audiosciencereviews, fellow Roon-User… :laughing:

comparing Roon-versions as to sound quality seems to me like comparing the sound of cables :wink:

5 Likes

There’s a part of me that won’t disagree with the idea that changes in software could make subtle changes to the sound. But there’s a huge side of me that just couldn’t be bothered to pay attention to those things, so haven’t noticed it. Or perhaps I should say I’m glad I don’t have gear THAT revealing. Life is just too short.

2 Likes

Does that work for MRIs as well? macOS becomes better and better :wink:

1 Like

Puts head underneath a scanner and uses DTP software to Command + Shift + 4 the brain :wink:

3 Likes

Cmd+Shift+3 the hole brain
Cmd+Shift+4 selections of the brain
Cmd+Shift+4 and Space panels of the brain
options:
save png (default), jpg or other files
save to desktop (default), or other locations

3 Likes

I don’t remember that far back, so I can’t really say.

But I do think this idea – that a change in SQ can’t be happening – is unrealistic. We’re talking about software and fallible human programmers here. Some software bugs go undetected for years. Depending on Roon’s regression testing chain, it might indeed be possible to introduce a software bug that befuddles part of the data handling in such a way as to produce a degraded output. And conversely to fix that bug in a later release.

1 Like