Release 2024.06

Hi all,

I’ve just released 2024.06!

This is a rather small release that cleans up after the WPA3 issue.
The good news is we are back at the Linux 6.6 kernel.

Here’s the changelog:

• NEW: option to show changelog
  • IMPROVEMENT: upgrade Linux kernel
  • IMPROVEMENT: update Shairport-Sync component (Airplay)
  • IMPROVEMENT: update UPnP bridge component

As always it will take a few hours before the update hits your system.

Enjoy this release and the summer!

Best regards,
Harry

13 Likes

Just to be sure, does:

cleans up after the WPA3 issue.

Mean WPA3 now works or does it mean you got rid of remnants and WPA3 does not work?
Just asking for a friend… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

WPA3 is supported, but not on the internal wifi interface.
It is only supported if you use an external dongle.

1 Like

Hi Harry, where is it? I cannot find it

It is on the info tab, below the version.
It will only show up when it has downloaded the changelog, so that could take some time.

2 Likes

Updated my Rpi4b,with a Flirc remote and 7" screen. Update locked up with blank screen, near end of process. Waited 15 minutes or so, then restarted rpi via switch on power lead. All good :+1:

1 Like

Updated my Ustar C19 (CM4 based) without any issue, as well as two RPI4.

Thank you and more than happy to rediscover 6.6 improved SQ…

1 Like

Updated my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 1G with HifiBerry DAC+ without any issues.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

same here, too

3 pi4b’s updated with no issues. Thanks Harry!

1 Like

Since upgrading to 2024.06, I have started having trouble where after a period of time audio playback stops and the RoPieee no longer shows as a zone in Roon. Sometimes the RoPieee remains accessible via HTTP, and if I soft-reboot the RoPieee then it returns to Roon and I can play again. Other times the RoPieee is not network reachable. If I leave it, it seems to come back on its own but it takes a long time, and then the cycle will repeat.

I had upgraded from the previous release to 2024.06 using the built-in software update, and then when I noticed problems I also installed fresh from the 2024.06 image, with the same results. This is on a Pi 5.

Feedback #: 9051d7f827904101

Hi Evan,

Your logs show an ethernet connection problem: it continously reports ‘up and down’, which results in a flakey connection.

Can you look if this could be something to do with the physical connection - connector, cable, router etc.

Hi Harry – wiggling the cable at the Pi did not change, but I have replaced the entire cable and put back on 2024.06 and will see how it goes. Thank you for responding!

I had one Pi that developed a dodgy Ethernet port, so if the cable doesn’t fix it, perhaps worth trying another Pi.

Replacing the cable seems to have solved the problem – I have been listening for a few hours with no dropouts. Thank you again!

3 Likes

About external dongle : I tried a dongle (Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7611ULB 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, as shown in Ropiee). Works very well for a (long) while, then suddenly playing stutters badly, Roon skips to the next track, with same problems. I have to stop playing for good and restart it to retreive a normal playing. Never had this problem with internal Wifi (but alas, not usable anymore for WPA3 networks users)

I don’t think this is a Wifi problem, I suspect conflict between USB port of dongle and USB port for DAC, this is the new thing. Does someone knowns the internal architecture or Raspi4 USB buses, and buses sharing ? Are all USB ports on the same data bus, or can I try different ports ?